addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › IN COLD BLOOD

IN COLD BLOOD

Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 1
Hi All,
Sorry to have missed our Book Club meeting last night but forgot I had a previous committment. However, wanted to put my two cents in and say that I was thoroughly engrossed in our selection, In Cold Blood . It was a riveting read and prompted me to rent Capote which is the story behind the author and how he did his research for the book. Very interesting. Did everyone else like or dislike?
Christina
A former member
I also missed the meeting last night. I got very sick Monday and I thought that I would spare you all from getting my germs. Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the book. I normally do not like reading books that give me nightmares. I thought that Capote approached it well, maybe to well for my taste. I guess if you like reading about death and murder then this was an ok book. For me though, I was glad when I was done reading it.
A former member
I thoroughly enjoyed this rollicking adventure of two happy-go-lucky fellas who led the Kansas Bureau of Investigation through a merry cross-country chase. A wonderful travelogue highlighting points of interest throughout many of the continental states, Alaska and Mexico. One is tempted to take to the road and visit the many gas stations, cafes and motels where they enjoyed their playful diversions.

I was most taken by Mr. Capote's writing style, which I found subtle, even, yet flourishing with such takes as Perry being "as out of place as a seagull in a midwestern wheatfield. "

The reverse for me, Christina, as I'd already seen "Capote," an excellent movie (on the par with "Good Night, and Good Luck,") which provided some extra visual mental footage as I read the book. I think both should be a package deal. I would imagine after the movie you know that the "journalist" who visited Perry in the ending chapter was Capote himself. He wrote himself out of the book quite well as an observer and compiler, but I think he just couldn't resist inserting his identity.

Honestly...? I think the events were horrible and cannot imagine either the horror the Clutter family must've gone through, nor the non-chalance and lack of conscience the murderers had. I had no compassion for either Perry or Dick and feel their end came not soon enough.
A former member
Good morning -

I found the read a bit slow from the start - too many details provided for things that seemed irrelevant. Things picked up as I stuck w/ things, perhaps in the third or fourth chapter. I enjoyed the book, especially since it was something that actually happened. The characters were a bit sad to me though. Killing an entire family for some insignificant amount of money - tragic. The "chase" was of interest to me though - hard to believe they could keeps on the lamb for so long.
A former member
Post #: 2
A scary thought is that the Talahassee murderer(s) stayed on the lam forever and were never caught, at least for that particular crime. Of course if they were, say 30, about the same age as Perry and Dick, they'd be 76 by now.

Did guys usually call each other "honey" back then or was is just something picked up in prison? I kept getting the feeling that Perry and Dick had a bi- or homosexual relationship which may explain Perry's disgust with Dick's penchant for young girls and women in general. I wonder if Truman played that down because of his own flaming gayness, not wanting to associate homosexuality with sociopathic killers. Just a thought.

Meanwhile, we've been to South Africa, the American midwest, and now on our way to India. Seems like we're getting quite a world tour with the reading selections.
Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
I agree with you Scott. Whenever I read "Honey" I was puzzled as well. Although I thought Capote wrote a dispassionate and accurate account of the brutality of the crime and a glimpse at the criminals background, I feel he might have been covering up the inference because of his own peculiarities. I think had I seen the movie first, it would have been very difficult for me to pick up the book. It showed a side of Capote, especially his closeness to Perry, that I found revolting. Having said that, am looking for to our adventure to India.
A former member
Yeah I noticed that to, and I wish that Capote would have given more insight on Perry and Dicks relationship. Also, I noticed that in some parts of the book when Capote was focused on Perry, he used
qoutes alot, this "frustrated" me to no end because I hate it when "things" are put in quotes when noone is speaking, I find it "unnecessary".

This book we are reading for August is one of all time favorites, so I am looking forward to everyones reactions.
Enjoy!
Maria
user 2826214
Richmond, VA
I really enjoyed In Cold Blood. I do agree with Lorraine that it was creepy, though, even given my line of work. :) I often had to remind myself that it was a true story. With the amount of detail that Capote gave, it made the story even more chilling.

Hope everyone enjoys the next book!