addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › A Fine Balance

A Fine Balance

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi everyone

I hope that you all are enjoying the August book. Like I said before, it is one of my all time favorites so I can't wait to here what everyone else thinks.
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 5
Just finished it last night. Wow, great book!
A real eye-opener in so many ways. It made me really take a look at my life and all the things I take for granted. I love reading about different cultures and times in history.
I also can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this book, especially the ending!
Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
It is an excellent read and I am thoroughly enjoying the book.
A former member
Post #: 4
Yeah its the book I read when I feel my life is not going so well. It really puts a lot of things into perspective.
Maria
user 2826214
Richmond, VA
I'm SO glad people are enjoying the book--I was really nervous about making the selections! smile I'm really enjoying it, too. Despite the length, it's going pretty quickly. The descriptions of poverty are so vivid, and it really adds a lot to the story itself.
Betty
user 2978453
Richmond, VA
Post #: 1
Hi everyone! I am about halfway through and am enjoying the book very much so far. It has been an eye opener. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 15th.

Betty
A former member
Still have half the book to read thanks to recently evolved overtime at work, but I'm sneaking in pages between service calls. I'm in amazed wonderment at the water situations and cruelty of the caste system. But, then again, I've known no poverty other than collecting unemployment benefits between contracts. Nothing in my life experience comes even close to the descriptions in this book.
A former member
Am I reading the same book as you are? I find the book heavy and depressing, not my cup of tea at all.
I will not be able to make the meeting tomorrow night afterall, last minute appointments at work, I'm anxious to see the reviews here on line to see if anyone is in agreement with my distaste for this story. nancy
Betty
user 2978453
Richmond, VA
I think the book is very well written and interesting. I can't say I would have chosen to pick it up on my own. I have to agree with Nancy as far as the book being heavy and depressing. I think I will have to take a few days to mentally digest it all. The ending was extremely sad to me. All and all I am glad I read it. It provided a glimpse of a life that was completely foreign to me. Can't wait to discuss further.

Betty
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 9
The ending just left me numb and then a bit angry. I could think of an obvious happy ending!
When they were all happy for that short time I was so happy with them and for them. I was honestly reading the book with a smile on my face, they had so little and yet so much. They had broken all the rules of society to make their only little family and they all seemed to love each other. I wanted so badly for it to end with the makeshift family reunited. However I suppose the ending was fitting to the story. The fact that I was crushed when Maneck would not speak to Ishvar and Om just goes to show how great the author is.
What did everyone else think of the ending? Why did it end that way for Maneck? Why was Maneck so depressed, compared to the others his life seemed blessed. I have my theories but would really be interested in what other people thought.