addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › How chilling is Chill Factor for you so far???

How chilling is Chill Factor for you so far???

A former member
Post #: 5
I'm halfway through this one and, granted, it's like junk food for the mind. But every now and then I get the urge to throw caution to the wind and go off my normally cautious diet and allow some high fructose corn syrup to invade my system.

So far it reminds me a lot of the Stephen King novel, "Misery," and is obviously a 'template' following the standard 'W' pattern of pop writing. Nevertheless Sandra Brown is doing a heck of a lot better than I am as a computer tech. So would I switch places with her? In a heartbeat. That's why I didn't mind coughing up the ten bucks which will help keep her designer jeans up to date and why not another pair of Prada shoes as long as we're at it?

Anyone who can become published at a national level has my respect.

In retrospect I should have suggested any of W.G. Sebald's writings...perhaps for the next go round.
A former member
personally, I totally enjoyed this read....junk food as it may be. I much prefer a story line of who done it to the "deep reads" we have done in the last book. This book I passed on to friends to read. I threw "A Fine Balance" in the trash after reading it. Another favorite of mine is "My Sisters Keeper" Jodi Picoult. It delves into the controversy of stem cell research and the grief a family faces when a child is terminally ill.
A former member
Post #: 6
An interesting comment, Nancy, and I'm not directing my response specifically towards you. Not sure if I've missed other's comments, but this is the first I've seen expressing an inclination away from "deep reads." So far the majority of the feedback has come from people attending the monthly meets, and interest in deep reading has seemed to be the consensus.

For lack of a better system of selecting reads we've concluded the meetings with voting for one person to be the next "selector." I'm sure there are better methods to doing this, but this is what has evolved so far since this club is still a work in progress. I believe I can speak for the group in saying that other suggestions are welcome and the topic is open.

The "Files" link leads to a spreadsheet of book suggestions to which everyone is welcome to add via our Moderator, Chelsea. Obviously if one person were not in control of the spreadsheet it would become unmanageable. I have a feeling that not everyone is aware of the suggestion list which is perhaps a flaw in the system.

The purpose of the list is to provide a database of suggestions that can be used by the selector for the next month's choices. It is, however, woefully unpopulated. The reasoning behind voting/choosing a different person each month to choose three offerings that might interest the group is to maintain some manageablity, and as more members join, you can imagine things would become chaotic.

Which brings us to the message board, where people are encouraged to open any topic they wish to discuss and offers an opportunity for members who have been unable to attend the meetups.

I imagine, with popular input we could come up with some other ideas for combining the on-line readers with the in person meet members and spread the votes more democratically.

Active participation is really the key here and this message board is really the place to become involved between our monthly gatherings.

No one has to buy or otherwise obtain and read the month's selection, even though the core conversation of the meetings revolve aroud it. When we meet we enjoy plenty of other topics; it's a nice opportunity for readers to share ideas and experiences in an open discussion.
Maria
user 2826214
Richmond, VA
Well, I finished the book a few days ago--how nice to have a quick read! It kept me entertained and I enjoyed it.

I agree that it seems that suggestions are welcome as to how books are selected, etc. I think part of the reason for shifting around who selects the books is so different people's interests are reflected. That way, if someone wanted to shift the group to reading science fiction for a month, they can choose three science fiction books to be voted between.
A former member
Post #: 6
I have not read this one yet, but I think the way the books are chosen is fair, I have not really had any major issues with any of them. I've just had issues with getting myself to the meetings for one reason or another. ... Sigh... ;)
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 8
I've nearly finished it and have to say I am enjoying the read. This is not the type of book I normally read, for me it has proven that sometimes it's good to read a book purely for entertainment.
A former member
Post #: 7
Finished "Chill Factor" yesterday and enjoyed it. Reminded me of the ice storm we had a couple of years back here in Richmond and wound up being stuck for two days with someone I met on Match.com, which is a whole other story. Meanwhile, I'm ready for the next selection.
A former member
Post #: 8
I just finished this book yesterday. I think I read it in a week... It was entertaining. It still amazes me that no matter how many murder mystery books/movies/ tv shows that I read/see, I still am surprised by who did it at the end. This book reaffirmed my decision not to become a detective or police chief ;) because frankly I would be almost as bad at it as Dutch.