addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › The Stolen Child

The Stolen Child

A former member
Post #: 15
So, I know that I was the one that chose this months books, but I am not so overly thrilled with this book. But hey, at least it was sort of festive, it being close to Halloween and all.

Im not sure how many other people have finished the book, so I won't elaborate on how I felt about the book. Stay tuned.... ;)
Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 6
Lorraine - I am lagging behind but the end is getting ever so close. Can't wait to find out what is going on with Henry Day! Christina
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 28
I liked the book. It was very different and perhaps a bit more subtle than some of the other books I've read recently. However there was something I did not like about the style of writing or the approach to how the story was told. I am not sure exactly what. I found it hard to feel any emotion when Henry was taken as he told the story in such a mature way and he was only 7 when it happened. I know he was looking back and telling the story but I think even when people are looking back on their lives they remember the emotions and thoughts as a child - I do anywaysmile. I am very interested in what everyone else thought about this book!
A former member
Post #: 15
I think I was more taken with the title and the reviews, which is why I voted for it so enthusiastically. However I found it essentially "flat" reading and kept looking for an excitement that never really drew me into it. Character development left a lot to be desired, and the only reason I continued was because I wanted to see Speck ultimately content with herself.