addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › Love and Other Near Death Experiences

Love and Other Near Death Experiences

Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 75
So what does everyone think of this book so far?

Lorraine have you finished it yet? Do you still like it?

I just got it a couple of days ago so I have a ways to go but so far I like it a lot!
A former member
Post #: 19
yeah I finished it a few days ago. I do still like it, but it got a little less funny later on in the book.... hope that didnt spoil anything. I personally like using "Bonnet" instead of "hood" for the hood of your car.
A former member
Post #: 7
i also really like this book. it's hilarious, although i admit that lorraine's comment has intrigued me and i really have to resist the urge to peek. the part where zach is talking about "london fog" made me laugh and wince simultaneously. some americans should be required to take an iq test before entering other countries.
i will probably read his other books after i am done with this one. many of the amazon reviews said that "things my girlfriend and i have argued about" is even better than this.

is flo following along with us across the pond?
A former member
Post #: 20
has anyone else finished it yet? Im very curious to hear what people think about this book.

I want to read his other books also, maybe we should add them to the list!
A former member
Post #: 17
I'm trying to read it slowly so I don't finish two weeks before the meeting. Kind of hard to do, though, because it's intriguingly witty. I'm glad we chose this one for this go-round. I especially like Beth with her sharp wit and caustic humor. Good cast of characters. Can't wait to finish it so I can figure out what it's about.

The idea of ordering ahead at some of the locations is good. I would imagine the chosen volunteer(s) would take names or a count for each location. If a count isn't available, then perhaps a duke or even a prince will do.

Since I'm an official card carrying Borders member I usually get a receipt for a 25% discount on future purchases which, when asked nicely ahead of time, they've honored beyond the discount date. They even extended it this time because they had to order it.
A former member
Post #: 8
i just finished the book yesterday. lorraine, i agree that it was not nearly as laugh out loud funny towards the end. in fact, i'd say it got a little sappy. bleh. and it felt rushed. the tone shifted so drastically, it seemed like the last 50 pages were from another book (or a script from a chessy soap). just my opinion. it was an okay read none the less.
my favorite character was zach, although i liked elizabeth too. (now, remember scott, don't call her beth, she might reach through the book and put her cigarette out on your arm!)
A former member
Post #: 21
Tiffany, that was exactly how I felt. The later half of the book was just sort of odd, almost like the author felt like he had to make a plot within the last 50 pages. I think it should have just been funny all the way through, but yeah I still like it. Still very curious about everyone elses opinion.
A former member
Post #: 3
I just received my book yesterday so I've pretty much just started it. Sorry to hear it doesn't stay as funny as it seems to be starting
A former member
Post #: 18
OK Tiffany and Lorraine?
I?m in your camp, too. It was fun to read, but it did sort of slop out at the end.
I knew the minute Rob met Elizabeth what was going to happen. Zach was also a favorite of mine, by the way. Fairly predictable, actually.

What I?d like now is a really, really good page-turning novel on the order of Hamlet or perhaps Peyton Place. Come to think of it, ?The Corrections? is a pretty good choice. Hmm.

Also, is it true that they still drive on the wrong side of the road over in Britain?
A former member
Post #: 22
I just got one of his other books, "things my girlfriend and I argue about" I am hoping it will be very amusing.

Scott, I agree something more substantial is in order, I tried to read "The Corrections" once, and never made it past the first 30 pages.