addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
Meetup stands with the Black community. We must come together to end racial injustice. Learn how to get involved on Meetup.

Richmond Book Club Message Board › Geek Love

Geek Love

A former member
Post #: 4
Just thought I would let you all know that I was at the Barnes and Noble across from Chesterfield Town Center today and they had a few copies of the book.
Let me know what your thoughts are as you start it- I hope you are as fascinated as I was the first time I read it.
Sorry I didn't make it to the last meeting- I was one of the thousands of US Airways passengers stuck in Philadelphia over the weekend- I was supposed to get home Mon afternoon and didn't end up back home until Tues afternoon!
A former member
Post #: 39
If only you'd known about the book club rescue hotline! The on-call member would have driven up to Philly and picked you up in time for the meeting.

All kidding aside, it was a great meeting, and you were missed. Just picked up the last copy they had at Borders on West Broad, so don't try there. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to this one.
A former member
Post #: 5
I got mine off Amazon and there were plenty out there.
Christina
user 2838545
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 14
Guys, you are never going to believe this. I am in a local bookclub and guess what our April book is!!!! You got it, Reading Lolita in Tehran. I was punished for being so elated not to have to finish the book. I am now almost to the end and have to admit that it does get very good (but it is still slow going in areas).

Scott - great job on the photo's and captions. I think you should be our official club photographer, what do you think club members?
A former member
Post #: 15
christina, i second the motion of scott as club photog!

as for geek love, i am just starting chapter 5. i'm hoping chick's powers will be revealed. "...at that precise moment the two week old baby stared vaguely at my mother and in a matter of seconds revealed himself not as a failure at all, but in fact my parent's greatest masterpiece..." i must admit that even in reading all the stuff with miranda and the incest and the babies in jars stuff, that sentence from page 9 has been lurking in the back of my mind. i mean, i know he's abnormally strong, but the back cover implies there's something more ominous about this kid. there are other memorable passages too. the overall tone of the writing is so effective in creating this surreality, that i find myself doing double and triple takes like "did i actually just read that?" it's so alarming for these really odd things and events to be described in such a nonchalant way. i can't put this book down. i am thoroughly disturbed, yet entranced.

very good selection erika! tell us, are you reading this book again, or are you relying on you memory of the book? if you are re-reading it, what's different the second time around for you?
A former member
Post #: 5
I am re-reading it. The first time I read it was at least 5 years ago, so I don't remember alot of the details. I am just as intrigued this time around, and I am so glad you are enjoying it!
A former member
Post #: 40
I am flattered by the vote of confidence for my photographic and captioning skills. It's a lot of fun for me. If everyone agrees, then I'd be happy to be the club recorder. If anyone doesn't want their pic posted on line, though, please let me know and I'll edit accordingly.

Geek Love has been a bit slow going for me initially, but the pace has picked up now that I'm on chapter 4.
A former member
Post #: 28
Yeah, I just got into chapter 6. Let me just say that the part about the dead babies in jars really freaked me out... I mean that's just creepy. And what about how you could tell the weather by how the babies in jars were floating? If they were floating toward the top it meant no rain (or something) and if they were at the bottom it meant rain..... yuck. I have to admit though, that I am addicted to this book...
Chelsea
user 2830593
Group Organizer
Midlothian, VA
Post #: 111
I have not started Geek Love yet and after reading your comments I'm scared to start it!
A former member
Post #: 41
I'm still stuck on Chapter 4 because my stupid job takes away from my important reading time. I hope things slow down at work so I can have some private time reading ever onward.

I hope MIranda doesn't get her tail cut off, at least not yet, because it would make for an interesting MySpace profile, not to mention Match.com.

I'm trying to figure out how they all wound up in this house together, but I must read on.