- Race to Ratification 5k (dog friendly! walk or run) - external registration
New event! External registration required: https://www.nps.gov/bepa/planyourvisit/r2r.htm (information) https://www.zippyreg.com/online_reg/index.php?e=1255 (registration = $40) From the site: The National Woman's Party, in collaboration with the National Park Service, is hosting a 5K race to commemorate the centennial of the ratification of the 19th Amendment between June 1919 and August 1920. A 3.1 mile timeline tells the ratification story state by state and honors the courageous women and men across the US who led the fight to ratify the 19th Amendment. You won't find on the site that it's dog-friendly, but from the National Park Service: "Dogs on 5 foot, non-retractable leashes are permitted. Dogs must be friendly, be up to date with shots, and have no history of fighting or biting. Pet owners take full responsibility for the behavior of their pet, must start towards the back, may not weave through packs of runners, must yield the right of way to other runners and must clean up after their pet." Can do packet pickup the morning of event OR at Pacers/Navy Yard between 2-5 on Saturday June 8.
- External event: Dog Jog/walk for WAAAG Animal Rescue @ Winery
• What we'll do Register externally at https://www.waaag.org/waaag5kdogjog (early bird rates before 5/19) Super fun, low-key, friend and family-friendly event in the foothills of VA wine country (about 2hrs from the city, but worth it for a day of exploring). The 5k route takes you on some pretty trails and finishes in the vineyard. Post-race refreshments include a wine/beer tasting for 21+, fun food and more. Registration includes a t-shirt and dog bandanna. And it all goes to support the WAAAG Animal Rescue group. Great cause, great time, and some devilishly "great" hills. • What to bring Bug repellent and make sure whatever tick preventative you use son your dog is up to date. • Important to know Registration is required for event: https://www.waaag.org/waaag5kdogjog Early registration is $30, and day of event is $40
- Travels with Ollie Joint Group HIKE - Sugarloaf Mountain
This is a hike - not a run - with the Travels with Ollie monthly outing group. (NOTE: There isn't water on the trail so you'll want to pack enough for your pup and you) From the event page: Our June hike will head to Maryland for an adventure at Sugarloaf Mountain! We'll hike the 5-mile, moderately challenging Northern Peaks Trail (blue blazes). *This hike will be modified if the weather is too hot + humid. GPS Directions: 7901 Comus Road, Dickerson, MD 20842 Meet us at 10am at the WEST VIEW PARKING LOT and plan to start hiking by 10:20. To reach the WEST VIEW PARKING LOT: Once you have turned onto the mountain rd, follow the signs to the West View parking –– the last parking area on the road. We will be out on the trail for about 2-3 hours. We will stop for water breaks frequently and have lunch at the White Rocks viewpoint. There are porta potties at the parking lot. All dogs must be on a leash and practice the "Leave No Trace" principles. Don't forget sunscreen, bug spray, lunch + plenty of water. In the event of bad weather, I will make the call the night before and reschedule if possible. Please note that this is a community building event, not a networking event. :) Note on liability: These hikes are 'at your own risk" events. By participating you agree to the following: Participants agree to hold Hannele Lahti | a dog photographer harmless from any claim for loss or injury that may be alleged to have been caused directly or indirectly to any person or thing by an act of other persons, owners, guardians and/or their dog(s) while participating in the Travels With Ollie Hiking events.
- Fallen soldiers memorial 5k, 10k, half marathon - external registration required
11710 Macarthur Blvd
Late/Last-minute event opportunity: Bishop's events 2019 Fallen Soldiers Memorial 5k, 10k and half. External registration required: https://www.bishopseventregistrations.com/event/2019-Fallen-Soldiers-Memorial-5k-10k--Half (Day of registration available 45 min before start) Packet pickup on site morning of race. Nicky and I will probably do the half marathon - but if there are folks who want to go and do a shorter distance, we can be persuaded for social time! We'll likely do a pup-swim in the river after the run. Because it's a narrow trail for two-way "traffic" shared with bikes, walkers and other runners, leash manners are essential: no longer than 6' fixed lead leash, pup to the side/close on non-passing side (typically the right), poop pickup.
- Pups 'n Pints 5k run/walk and fun
External registration: https://hart90.org/events/PNP/runner/ = $40 for shirt, beer coupon or food item and a goodie bag. or https://racewire.com/register.php?id=10508 Info about the event: https://hart90.org/events/PNP/ Race starts @ 10, after party starts @[masked]k run or walk + beer & food by dogfish head alehouse. Event goes from 10- 10. Proceeds support HART animal rescue
- Alexandria Love Your Pet Day
Here is the official link to the event: https://www.alexandrialoveyourpetday.com/ Free block party fun! Vendors, speakers, bands and adoptables. "address" is Roth & Colvin streets in Alexandria. Parking is the Bishop Ireton lower lot located across Duke St. from the event. No flexileads - but otherwise pupstars are welcome!
- Evening Stroll or Run (5k loop or shorter, longer if you like!)
Low key super-chill evening stroll (or run??) on the "home route" from Cameron run, through Ben Brenman Park, along Holmes Run and back again. Can make it shorter or longer. It's about 3.2 miles on its own and can be stretched or shortened as you like. As is our tradition - we'll create space for all the pups and people to feel successful! If a dog is shy/reactive/working on stuff - or you are! - we're the safe space for you. Helps to let us know what you need in advance, but we'll also sort it out when we gather. There's not always reliable water on the route, so you may want to bring some. AND! Please update your RSVP to let me know if you are planning to come or plans have changed? Don't want to pre-mark the route in vain (or disappoint the pup by standing in the lot alone). Here is a link to the map of the route with standard, shorter and longer options noted: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1KIYk5zp6JWiwiKwl4-mhetW2fQ4&ll=38.812174115593535%2C-77.11441489999999&z=15
- Run or Walk Lorton Prison Break 5k/10k - external registration required
• What we'll do Register at http://www.roninregistration.com/rowing/info2.asp?GroupID=274116&p=prison&pt=rowing&InfoType=Register&ItemTypeName=Running to run the 5k or 10k - partially paved/partially trail (especially for the 10k) - entirely awesome. Great run, great event, fantastic photography (free!) and sometimes perfectly delightful weather. Notes: -- For the 10k, you must be able to do a 12min mile. 5k is flexible for walking/running. -- For both races your dog must be on a no longer than 6ft fixed leash (not retractable), dogs/runners must start at the back of the pack (listen for instructions) and pick up poop. They've only just recently allowed dogs to do the 10k again, so let's keep it safe! -- It's a sunny course - so consider bringing water for your dog, or a collapsible bowl to use at the water stops -- the 10k starts @ 9, the 5k starts at 9.20. You can do packet pickup the morning of. Here's the website for more race-specific information: https://www.prisonbreakdash.com/ You can do packet pickup the morning of the event • What to bring water bowl (and/or water), sunscreen not a bad idea, leash, poop bags, treats :o) • Important to know External registration is required: http://www.roninregistration.com/rowing/info2.asp?GroupID=274116&p=prison&pt=rowing&InfoType=Register&ItemTypeName=Running
- Ext. Registration: Rural Dog Rescue's Scavenger Hunt & Spring Photos
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rural-dog-rescues-spring-scavenger-hunt-cherry-blossom-photos-tickets-56818768466?fbclid=IwAR0SH8EObHaKelH_LvmiGN6UQjqT113aruRwtwClaXJdKdyjt2BNDJK-6Lk what could be a better way to spend a sunday morning/brunch than to kick it off with a 1-3 mile scavenger hunt run or walk followed by professional photos of you/your pup + swag bags, raffle and drink specials at the pup-friendly Brig after! All proceeds go to Rural Dog Rescue (near & dear to our fostering hearts!). $15 if just the scavenger hunt OR photos, $25 for both. and consider shopping for your running gear at the locally owned/operated (and pup friendly!) Summit to Soul while you're there!
- External registration required: Spring Forward 5k/10k - Connect Our Kids
External registration required: https://www.bishopseventregistrations.com/event/2019-Spring-Forward-5k--10k Hains Point 5k/10k options - great opportunity to run sleep deprived and cold and with super friends! #whatcouldpossiblygowrong ??!? Same dog-running rules apply: fixed leash 6' or shorter, pick up poop, practice leash manners, have fun. Cause: connecting foster children to foster families. sorely needed! The 5k is one loop the 10k is two. Looks like race-day packet pickup is the morning of the event. NOTE: Tech t-shirt guaranteed if you register before 2/27. After that it's first-come/first-serve.