What we're about
South Bay Screenwriters 2.0 – Read Scripts and Provide Feedback
The purpose of the group is to support writers in learning, practicing, and fine tuning the craft of screenwriting. We provide a safe environment for screenwriters to solicit and provide constructive feedback, share ideas, and hear their written words read aloud by their created “characters” and “narrators”. This group is aimed to support the development of professional screenwriters, so please be respectful and supportive of others’ goals and ideas.
If you wish to bring pages in to have read during the meetup, you must RSVP on Meetup.com and comment that you will be bringing pages to reserve your spot. Pages will be read in the order their authors RSVP’d on Meetup.com. Writers are eligible to sign up for pages after attending one meeting and observing. The moderator reserves the right to make executive decisions as the need arises.
Each member who is having their pages read should deposit their <=10 page original script into their Google Drive folder in PDF format. Writers cast readers out of the group attendees, including the narration. We find there is a benefit to hearing your work read aloud. Readings are followed by open critique and should be geared toward helping writers improve their work. Bring an open mind, be respectful of your peers, and together we’ll improve our craft. Each reading and feedback slot should not exceed 30 minutes max, including casting, reading, and feedback.
Please give Pamela (the organizer) an email address so she can share the Google Drive folder with you. If possible, please also bring a laptop or tablet to the meetup to reach the scripts on.
Note the following changes to the structure of the meetups:
1. We will go back to meeting weekly on Wednesdays from 7-9:30 to promote momentum and continuity in your works in progress and relevant feedback.
2. We will set individual goals quarterly in writing and will hold you accountable for making progress towards your goal even if you don’t bring pages in on a given week.
3. We will start promptly at 7:10pm with readings. Please make every effort to be on time.
4. We will not tolerate computer issues during the meetups in the interest of staying on schedule. You can share with your neighbor if you run into problems. Please ensure that your computer works properly before you come to the meetup and arrive with it fully charged. The organizers may be willing to help you after the meetup concludes, but we won’t disrupt the meetup to help you with your IT issues.
5. We will plan for 4 reading spots per meetup, with 1-2 writers on standby. Reserve your reading spot on the Meetup.com page ahead of time when you RSVP. If you reserve a spot and then don’t cancel within 24 hours you will receive a warning. The second time you do it, you will only be able to go on standby for a reading spot until further notice subject to the discretion of the organizers (likely 3 months). Writers can have their pages read every other week as a scheduled slot (with early RSVP and claim of said spot). We will prioritize scripts to be read over ideas and treatments.
6. Addition of new organizers – Marcus and Margina and others TBD. Marcus will be bringing new ideas about networking, extra-curricular activities, and ways to hone your pitching skills in social settings. Margina will be exploring group projects and eventually film production.
Addition of weekly optional assignments, or writing prompts to help stimulate your imagination and writing topics [Photo credits: Tom Dupée // on Facebook, Tom Dupee Photographics]