addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego Comedy Junkies Message Board › I wanna get into comedy, dunno how.

I wanna get into comedy, dunno how.

A former member
Post #: 1
I really want to start getting my foot in the door in stand up. I dont know how to get started. Should i just rite some jokes and dive in to open mics? or should i take a workshop and pay money to have someone teach me? Any advice would help. Thanks
A former member
Post #: 5
Well, let's put it this way: I'm just a 1/2 step ahead of you, so please do not take this as 'gospel' advice. There are plenty of ways to get the ball rolling. I would say start by writing down, or recording, everything that you think of that has potential, so that means write down EVERYTHING you think of!

Check out the book stores, usually around the 'performance' or 'acting' books, you'll find some good books about stand-up and comedy in general. Find one that looks good to you. I've been reading "Be a Great Stand-Up" by Logan Murray. "The Comedy Bible" by Janet Whatzernutz has been highly recommended to me. I forget her name, but it won't be hard to find.

The workshops are great, and definitely worth the money IF you are serious. The last workshop had Jimmy and Will C, both people who earn their livings in comedy. They gave us time to go over our material, offered us some opinions and tips, and then we had a chance to perform on stage in front of our small group. This was all very valuable to me, personally. Obviously, if you attend a workshop without material and/or turn down the chance to get up on stage, then you will get far less for your money.

Most importantly, what has helped me the most is simply meeting some people through this group. There are a few of us who all started around the same time so we're all on an even playing field, so to speak. We try to meet on occasion for writing sessions and support each others' performances when we can. I cannot stress enough how much this was a help to me. I did my first open mic last night, and I probably would have chickened out if it had not been for the support of other group members there with me.

Anyway, in short, I'd say 1) get involved. 2) network. 3) get your ass up on stage.

I'm see if anyone is interested in doing an afternoon writing session on Saturday before Jimmy's show. I'll let you know if the writing session is a 'go', and you can come out and meet some of us if you want. Definitely go to the show on Saturday night and introduce yourself! It's a good first step!

Regards,

~Jago