We are a San Francisco-based book club and social group for intersectional feminists who want to connect over and discuss readings about intersectional feminism.
This group is open to people of all genders and with all levels of experience with feminism.
Here are the core principles of our feminism. If you disagree with these principles, consider that this group might not be for you. Attendees will be asked to step down or step out of the discussion for pursuing a debate on these principles:
- Feminism must include and center: black women, women of color, native women, queer & trans women, working-class women, sex workers, lesbian women, fat women, and all other folx marginalized within white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy.
- Most (if not all) gender-associated differences are socialized, not biological.
- Folx have the right to choose how they dress, who they have sex with, whether they have kids, etc.
- The discussion meetups will fill up. If you realize you won't be able to make it please update your RSVP right away so someone from the waitlist can take your spot.
- The space will be open for 30 minutes before event start time. You are welcome to come early to socialize. Please try to arrive before the discussion start time so we can begin promptly and discuss the reading with minimal interruptions.
- Outside our core principles (listed above), you are encouraged to express disagreement and debate the topics. Be respectful of others and recognize that they may not have as much experience with the academic side of feminism as you do.
- If you only get through part of the reading, please do still come and discuss the part you read! We typically have study guides or discussion prompts to help.
- You are welcome to bring your children with you. There are arts & crafts supplies and books in the space that kids may use freely, or they can join the discussion circle.
- You are welcome to bring food or drinks for yourself or to share with others. It is not expected that you bring anything. Meetings will typically include tea and light snacks.
Accessibility Note: The building we meet at is fully ADA compliant. There is a large elevator to get to the space and there is an accessible bathroom inside.
Feminist Book Club is a space where men can learn and be challenged, but women are the center and the priority of this group. Men who aren’t into that are welcome to join any of the zillions of meetup groups where their privilege will go unquestioned. Here are our guidelines/expectations for men:
1. This is an explicitly feminist group. We are not here to debate the validity of feminism or the existence of patriarchy. See "core principles" above.
2. If you feel a burning itch to ask “what about the men??” in our discussions please DO NOT scratch that itch. Patriarchy is allll about the men, so you should be able to handle a two-hour conversation in which you are not the centerpoint.
3. Do not come to book club to stretch your “intellectual debate” muscles. Patriarchy isn’t an abstract concept or philosophical quandary, it’s our daily experience.
4. Come to listen. Men are not the experts on women’s experiences. You might learn something interesting if you listen more than you speak.
5. Do not interrupt women.
6. Do not come here to meet women (romantically).
7. Do not accuse us of hating men or being too critical of men.
If you don't like these rules, don't come. We won't tolerate any bullshit.