addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Ahh! My girls are fighting.

Ahh! My girls are fighting.

A former member
Post #: 5
The other day I noticed some blood on one of my hens's comb. I figured, no big deal, she must have cut it on something in the back yard.

Yesterday, my girlfriend saw what really happened. One hen grabbed the comb of the other in her beak and started dragging her around the yard. The hen was screaming and obviously very scared.

She spent the rest of the day puffing herself up and trying to look bigger so the one hen didn't attack her.

Has this been a problem for anyone els? I didn't realize hens could be so violent or have a spawned a devil chicken?

Any advice would be great.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 27
How long have you had them? I ask because they have to establish a pecking order. Sometimes it can get pretty bad, other times not, depending on the girls.

If you see blood I suggest getting some of the "Peck No More" or something like that. Bernal Beast carries it. It's non toxic. Put it on the spot with blood and it will deter the one pecking and grabbing. They don't like the smell. At least that's worked for me. It's important you do something in regards to the blood. They are cannibles and not to get too gross or anything, but they can pick one to death. They are drawn to the color red and to blood and will continue if something's not done.

Another option is to separate them. I don't know how many you have or it that's even possible, just throwing out ideas. I'm sure others have ideas and experience, too.
A former member
Post #: 6
I have had the 2 hens for over 6 months. They established the pecking order right away, but now the lower one is the aggressive one.

Strange indeed.

I will get some Peck no more.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 28
Very strange. Hmmm. Wonder what's going on. Let us know if it works and what happens.

I have a biter. She's lowest in the pecking order of 3. She only bites me. Usually when I'm picking another one up or putting one down. She runs full speed and jumps or flies at me. I'm trying to figure what that's all about, too. And she doesn't do it all the time! Interesting creatures, these girls!
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 23
the one who is a biter could be turning into a rooster - sometimes they can undergo a change and become unisexual - which of course would stop the eggs from coming and perhaps produce a crow. I don't know how much the ointment you mentioned costs but bag balm on the comb of the wounded and a tiny bit on the beak of the wounder (don't cover the nostrils) will accomplish the same thing - makes them both smell like camphor and upsets the pecking order. also, you might want to give them more to do, greens, fresh branches with leaves on them - they could be bored. If they have free range access to a yard the last suggestion is unlikely but if they are confined to a small coop, they do get bored.