addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Norse Mythology

Norse Mythology

Karla K.
user 26341892
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 1
Anyone have any suggestions for good books based around Norse mythology?

Ones I know about/have already read:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Prose Edda
Beowulf

It seems like there should be more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Regardless, any help is greatly appreciated!
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 903
Try The Norse Code by Greg van Eekhout (basically an urban fantasy Ragnarok) or Northworld by David Drake (Norse mythology in a sci-fi setting).

The third book in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, Hammered, also involves a fair amount of Norse mythology.

And although it's not really about mythology, Crichton's Eaters of the Dead (fictional "historical" account of the roots of the Beowulf legend, upon which THE THIRTEENTH WARRIOR is based) is still interesting, if you don't mind the writing style. John Gardner's Grendel is a take on the legend from the monster's pov.

Various other fantasy works draw on some elements of Norse mythology, such as Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry.

Enjoy!
Karla K.
user 26341892
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the suggestions, Vijay! I love The Thirteenth Warrior, and had no idea it was based on Chrichton's book (which I haven't read obviously, but I've heard of it). This is a good start :)

Karla
Mike M
dozer_2000
Bethesda, MD
Post #: 64
There's also Loki by Mike Vasich, which seems to be well-reviewed

http://www.amazon.com...­
A former member
Post #: 10
Karla
Somewhere I found this list of recommended Viking stories. Some of these are older books and some are only slightly related but there are some good stories here.

I've read the Poul Anderson stories and some of the Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories and enjoyed them.
John

Poul Anderson
The Broken Sword
Hrolf Kraki’s Saga
Frans Gunnar Bengtsson
The Long Ships
Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories
The Last Kingdom
The Pale Horseman
The Lords of the North
Sword Song
The Burning Land
Death of Kings
E.R. Eddison
Styrbiorn the Strong
Nancy Farmer
The Sea of Trolls
H. Rider Haggard
Eric Brighteyes
Seamus Heaney translation
Beowulf
Robert Low
Oathsworn series
J.R.R. Tolkien
The Children of Hurin
Karla K.
user 26341892
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 6
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!