addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SURVIVE AND THRIVE PHILADELPHIA Message Board Survival books and authors › Need input on a book

Need input on a book

Mark
SuburbBuilder
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 8
Need opinion on James Talmage Stevens book about prepping. Any good. I am finding a lot of preparedness books rehash what other are saying.
FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 67
I am not familiar with that author by name.
From my years of reading and prepping , I find that there is nothing new under the Sun.

Water Shelter Fire Food Sanitation Defense and Mindset

There is not much to it after that , just tuning to variables.
A former member
Post #: 7
Since I don't know what your level of preparedness is, I can't make any recommendations.
Check the table of contents below to see if it meets your needs.
I think the new edition is overpriced. If you are interested I would recommend getting an
older edition since not much has changed. It has been around since the 70s hence 11 editions.

Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
11 edition (September 1, 2009)
by James Talmage Stevens
Price: $32.88
#
Table of Contents v
Table of Recipes vii
Table of Charts, Guides, Illustrations & Lists xi
Foreword xiii
Index 238
Chapter 1: What Is Family Preparedness? 1
Chapter 2: Basic In-Home Storage 7
Chapter 3: In-Home Storage Problems & Solutions 39
Chapter 4: Water--the Absolute Basic 53
Chapter 5: Wheat--the Basic Grain 65
Chapter 6: Basic Whole-Wheat Bulgur Cookery 71
Chapter 7: Basic Whole-Wheat Flour Cookery 81
Chapter 8: Basic "WheatMeat" Cookery 105
Chapter 9: Basic Sourdough Cookery 109
Chapter 10: Basic White Flour Cookery 123
Chapter 11: Basic Triticale Cookery 129
Chapter 12: Basic Dairy Products from Powdered Milk 135
Chapter 13: Basic Honey Use 153
Chapter 14: Basic Self-Health with Supplementation 163
Chapter 15: Basic Sprouting & Kitchen Gardening 193
Chapter 16: Basic In-Home Drying of Fruits &Vegetables 205
Chapter 17: Energy and Fuels Storage 223
Appendices 231
Appendix I--Websites of Preparedness Suppliers 231
Appendix II--FEMA National Emergency Management System
Federal Emergency Management Agency 233
Index 238
Supplement S-1
Compendium of Preparedness Resources S-1
Rich B.
RichB
Tampa, FL
Post #: 4
Stevens is one of the true godfathers of prepping, with his first edition being printed back in the 70's. His is the only prepping reference book I've found that provides detailed prepping recipes, for example. However, his book doesn't cover topics such as "weapons and tactics", etc.

I'm familiar with the prepping literature because I am the author of a preparedness book myself ("When There is No FEMA - Survival for Normal People in (Very) Abnormal Times" . My book *does* cover many topics that Stevens does not cover, You can preview the first 60 pages of my book at nofema.com.