addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Religion and charity

Religion and charity

David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 107
I don't think trees belong anywhere near a building. They're wonderful out in a forest where they don't interfere with utility lines, roofs, foundations, etc. Oddly enough, landscaping is one of my favorite hobbies.

With the right choice of trees, you can basically 'control' how tall they get and how wide their roots go.

I had to learn this the hard way as the president of my HOA. Our prior board didn't care about what was planted where, and thus we had concrete and siding damage 10 years later. Now we know better and specifically plant trees that we know won't cause damage.
Linda B.
BreLinda
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 8
Keep in mind it's the Hoover(!) Institute. It has an agenda.
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 126
Most of the trees we plant are purposely planted near buildings because (when planted in the right location) they can reduce energy consumption/bills by 30-40% in our climate as well as provide all the other amazing benefits... I'm seriously amazed at all of them. Did you know studies show that trees and nature reduce violence? and increase property value and business sales? on top of all the amazing environmental benefits (clean the air, water, reduce the temperature, ) okay I'll stop now.

We definitely advocate "the right tree in the right location." Like not too close (we have a whole matrix of how close to buildings, sidewalks, fences, etc).
Jim
jimfolsomca
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 13
I understand that this is the wrong group/forum to discuss this subject, and I should have just let the tree thing lie without inserting my opinion :-) I was the landscape chairman for the condo association where I lived for several years, and did a lot of the work myself, just because I like to do it, and it's great exercise. I changed my profile picture to illustrate what's left behind when you have to remove a tree (I dug out all the big roots left after this tree and stump were removed... this root went under the condo). There are usually as many roots below grade as there is tree above ground. It's a lot more complicated than that and I wrote a page and then removed it, because I don't like these kinds of discussions online, especially where the subject matter doesn't pertain to the purpose of the group :-) If anyone really wants to know my opinion, I should know to wait till they ask for it.