addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Emergency Preparedness Group Message Board Food and Water Storage › Food / Water Storage

Food / Water Storage

Jeffery B
Prepared-Mind
Group Organizer
Roseville, CA
Post #: 109
Got my Mylar bags last week, vacuumed up some jars of rice and runts. Now all I have to do is figure out what to store first. I have been stock pilling 5 gal buckets and lids from work, and pick some lids from WINCO. Wife and I are going shopping there tomorrow. Need beens, wheat, oats, chocolate bars, rice, pancake mix, tuna, can chicken, ect.....
A former member
Post #: 14
Hi John, Winco will sell whole bags of anything they sell. Just ask the person in the bulk food department for what you want and they will order it. I did that with beans, oats and something else I forgot what.
Nysia E.
degan2011
Lincoln, CA
Post #: 24
Fromt the Winco Website

"Shop Smart ~ Save Money
How to Get 5% Off Bulk Foods
Bulk Bins, Saving Tips

We all know that just by buying from the Bulk Foods department we’re already saving money. But did you know about the insider secret that can help you save an additional 5%?

Here’s the secret: Many of the items in the bulk bins actually qualify for a 5% discount when they’re purchased as a whole case/sealed sack.

What do you need to do to get that discount? Simply ask any of us working in the bulk area if an item qualifies for the discount, and place an order for a full case or sack at your employee-owned store. While the initial investment may be a bit more since you’re buying a whole package, the overall savings will be huge!

Bulk Foods Case Discount:

1. Ask if an item qualifies for the discount
2. Place an order at your local store for a sealed case/sack of qualifying item
3. Order will arrive, store will set aside for you and notify you
3. Enjoy the savings
PLEASE NOTE: While most items may qualify for this discount, select items are excluded. Please check with your local store while placing an order.

BONUS TIP: This little secret is perfect for huge projects, holidays or just to save money on items that you and your loved ones use frequently."

Winco Bulk Foods Order Form

Michael and I usually just buy the bags they have there... I am not sure if we get the discount this way... Will need to check up on that! :)

Edit: Called Winco in Roseville. There is no list of items that get the 5% discount. They say about 95% of the items do qualify, (but Winco, corp said that sugar is not one of them). The bag/case price is listed on the item tag when you are in the bulk section and that is the price so you would need to do the math yourself to see if it is in fact 5% discounted. (not worth it in my mind, it is either a good price, or not, at that point). So there you have it... Many of the items they have the bags or cases in the store so you don't have to order in advance on those things.
A former member
Post #: 24
I just read this on a popular prep site: poorman says:
November 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
A lot of folks may know this already but I just found out recently that you need to check your new Mylar bags for leaks. I use a flashlight shining inside in a dark room ( put it into the bag) and look for any light escaping. This is especially important if the bags were bought on Amazon,E bay ect as they often arrive folded and there will be small holes along the crease. I now have to repackage about 20 5gl pails of beans and rice to be safe. I agree with the thought that in this case more is better. You can’t have to many absorbers in a bucket. I run about 2500-3000 depending on the size I have at hand.

John says:
November 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM
You are absolutely correct.
Last week I was storing grains in mylar bags bought off of Amazon and the bags had holes in the creased corners.
Thanks for bringing it to everyone’s attention!
This is good to know so check your mylar bags before you use them.
Mark V. S.
user 21777561
Fair Oaks, CA
Post #: 4
Since I didn't consider the effects of moisture in my packaging, I think I will add desiccant along with oxygen absorbers in the future.
Oxygen absorbers also pull moisture to function. I found these two tidbits on using both:

"If you'll be using oxygen absorbers in the same container along with desiccants, it is best to place the desiccant on the bottom of the container and the oxygen absorber on the top. This is to keep the desiccants from taking needed moisture from your oxygen absorbers which will hinder their operation."

"When desiccants are used in powdered food items (salt, sugar, flour, etc.) it can cause the food to become rock hard. Most manufactures will tell you to - store bulk dry foods & powdered goods in Mylar bags, then there is no need for desiccants - the oxygen absorbers are all you need. - See more at: http://www.all-things...­
Nysia E.
degan2011
Lincoln, CA
Post #: 126
Wanted to update that the last time I went to the winco website, they now have an online ordering option for pick up at your store. The discount shows up online for anything that qualifies.
Smart Shopper Tip: How to Get 5% Off Bulk Foods

I also wrote a blog that tells you how many pounds of each bulk item you can get in one 5 gal bucket. Check it out here. There is a printable version available, too.

How Much Food Will A 5 Gal Bucket Hold?