addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego Clojure Users Group Message Board › CMU eliminated OOP from their intro curriculum

CMU eliminated OOP from their intro curriculum

Mooneer S.
tmiw
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
Here's an interesting blog post about how CMU's intro curriculum now uses functional programming instead of OOP in its intro classes. Interesting. :)

-Mooneer
Ron T.
mindbat
San Diego, CA
Post #: 11
Wow.

For me the money quote was:

"Object-oriented programming is eliminated entirely from the introductory curriculum, because it is...unsuitable for a modern CS curriculum."

Sounds like they're turning to functional programming for the same reasons many of us have: the need for reliable programs that can take advantage of parallel computation.
A former member
Post #: 16
At first, I misread the title and thought CMU had eliminated OOP from their entire curriculum. But if it's just for their intro curriculum, that actually makes sense to me. I think the more you can abstract programming concepts from the underlying hardware, the better it is for beginning programmers.

In recent history, intro curriculums passed from C++ -> Java, removing many complex details that the neophyte programmer shouldn't have to worry about (memory management, declaration vs. implementation, pointer manipulation).

But still, even when I had a friend learning Java, I remember she spent a whole night stuck on a simple assignment, bemoaning, "What the hell is a bool? I already have ints, what's the point of a bool?" (Functional languages still have bools, but at least it's more of a input/output concept rather than something a programmer has to declare, pass around, and manage... I hope it's an easier concept to grasp in a functional format, anyway...)

By the way, I only have a basic understanding of functional programming, and it has been my impression that functional programming focuses more on the way a problem is solved rather than organizing underlying data to solve it. If I'm wrong about this, I'd be happy for some experienced insight.