We mainly explore the San Francisco Bay Area’s many hiking trails on intermediate-level hikes (7-10 miles length and 1000-3000 feet elevation gain).
Most of our hikes are in the traditional heart of the greater SF Bay Area spanning the area between Mount Tamalpais in the north to Santa Cruz in the south. However, we do lead hikes as far north as Point Reyes and as far south as Big Sur during summer months. Our hikes are mostly held every two weeks on either Saturday or Sunday.
I am very passionate about hiking and have hiked with various groups for several years. I have also run my own networking/hiking group for the past 6 years. I ask for a voluntary donation (suggested amounts are listed) at the end of each hike to help keep this group going.
Let’s go out and enjoy the many wonderful hikes & other outings in the Bay Area!
NOTE: We welcome anyone interested in hiking, however by becoming a member and/or attending an event, you acknowledge you have fully read, understand, and agree to the legal disclaimer below:
Waiver of Liability and Disclaimers:
San Francisco Bay Area Outings, Meetup group, website, its organizer(s), and crew (the "Organizers") assume no responsibility for you or your guests. If you choose to participate in any of the Organizers' events, you assume all responsibility for yourself and your guests, and agree not to hold the "Organizers" liable in any way.
Before attending any of San Francisco Bay Area Outings’ event, you must agree that:
• you have read all rules and conditions applicable to the Event;
• the Event officially begins and ends at the location(s) designated by San Francisco Bay Area Outings. The Event does not include transportation, or transit to and from the Event, and you are personally responsible for all risks associated with any travel to and from the Event. Members may chose to organize their own carpooling. Some convenient carpooling locations may be suggested by the organizers but it is up to individuals to decide about their carpooling.
• this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law. If any provision or any part of any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or legally unenforceable for any reason, the remainder of this Agreement shall not be affected thereby and shall remain valid and fully enforceable.
• to the fullest extent allowed by law, you agree to WAIVE, DISCHARGE CLAIMS, AND RELEASE FROM LIABILITY the Organizers from any and all liability on account of, or in any way resulting from Injuries and Damages, even if caused by negligence of the Organizers, in any way connected with any Organizers' event. You further agree to HOLD HARMLESS the Organizers from any claims, damages, injuries or losses caused by your own negligence while a participant at any event. You understand and intend that this assumption of risk and release is binding upon your guests, passengers, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, and includes any minors accompanying you at any of Organizers' events.
• You have read this document in its entirety and you freely and voluntarily assume all risks of such Injuries and Damages and notwithstanding such risks, you agree to participate in Organizers' event.
- Please read before signing up for any event:
The organizers are not professional guides or trained leaders and are not medically trained to handle emergencies. Please carry a personal medical emergency kit and any medications you need. Hiking is an inherently dangerous activity that can lead to serious injuries including but not limited to slip and fall injuries, fractures, rattlesnake bites, heat exhaustion, poison oak, ticks and frostbite. Always remember to let the event organizer know if you are straying from the group. Stay on the trail, never walk alone and use your own common sense.
The "Organizers" cannot assure suitability of any trail to your specific abilities, nor can they assure your abilities are suitable for any of the trails / trips undertaken by the "Organizers".
It is your responsibility to ensure that you are in good health and your gear is in good order before participating in a high intensity activity like this one. You're advised to carry everything you need for the activity, including water, first aid kit, any medicine you need, etc.
You understand that participation will include a variety of hazards and dangers, foreseen or unforeseen. These hazards and dangers could result in personal injury, property damage, and death ("Injuries and Damages"). These hazards and dangers may include, but are not limited to, falling, falling objects, drowning, temperature exposure, equipment failure, improper use of equipment, inadequate or improper instruction or assistance, exposure to wild animals including poisonous animals, insects, debris, plants, unpredictable forces of nature, inclement weather, dehydration, unsanitary food or hydration.
Assumption of Risks: You, for yourself and for your guest participants, if any, ACKNOWLEDGE AND ASSUME the risks of the activity in which you will be participating, whether or not those risks are described above and whether they are inherent or otherwise. It is your responsibility to inform your guests of the potential risks, and you assume any and all liability for your guests. We recommend you have them read this entire disclaimer.
Release and Indemnity: To the fullest extent allowed by law, you, for yourself and for any of your guests, agree to WAIVE AND RELEASE FROM LIABILITY, the "Organizers" from any and all liability on account of, or in any way relating to, any loss you or your guests may suffer, including loss of or damage to property, personal injury and death in any way related to your enrollment in or participation in an activity of the "Organizers" group. You further agree to DEFEND, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the "Organizers" from any claims, damages, injuries or losses either suffered by you or your guests or caused by any conduct while an enrollee or participant in an activity of the Meet Up Group. These agreements of release and indemnity include negligence of the "Organizers", but not gross negligence or intentionally wrongful behavior.
Member Posted Events: San Francisco Bay Area Outings allows members to schedule meets/events/runs through itsMeetup page. In such cases, San Francisco Bay Area Outings is not organizing, guiding or running the event and cannot vet or verify the level of experience of the member who posted the event, nor the level of support he or she is prepared to offer. Enjoy yourself, but please take extra care in such cases and do not blindly trust the organizing member as they are not part of our experienced crew.
Photography / Video Release:
Participant hereby grants to the Organizer, and / or its representatives, the right to take photographs / videos of Participant in connection with Participant’s participation in these Activities. Participant hereby authorizes the Organizer, and / or its representatives, to copyright, use, and publish the same in print and /or electronically. Participant hereby agrees that the Organizer, and / or its representative, may use such photographs of participant for any lawful purpose, including but not limited to publicity, illustration, advertising, and Web content.
Food Safety & Allergy Disclaimers: • By participating in these events, you understand that any food items being made available at the event, be it shared by members, or prepared by third party vendors, or otherwise, are not necessarily prepared in commercial kitchens or spaces inspected by any government agency.
• By participating in these events, you assume all liability; specifically, you agree to not hold liable the Organizers or other participants for the cleanliness, suitability, freshness or safety of any food you may be offered or consume. Because members often share food at our events, or sometimes events are catered by third party vendors, or both, it cannot be guaranteed that every allergen in the food served will be identified and labeled either. The possibility that caterers or manufacturers of the foods members consume, bring, use or prepare at home could change the formulation at any time, without notice also exists. Customers concerned with food allergies must be aware of this risk. Attendees with life threatening food allergies who may need to use an epi-pen should be carrying their own. The Organizers are NOT trained to administer epi-pens and CANNOT provide or administer them. We cannot guarantee the absence of cross contamination in any food items shared by members or prepared by third party vendors, nor can we guaranty the safety or cleanliness of the ingredients as we do not prepare any of the food ourselves. The Organizers will not assume any liability for adverse reactions to foods consumed, or items one may come in contact with, while eating at any of the Organizers' events. SPECIFIC WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT REGARDING FOOD AT ORGANIZERS' EVENTS San Francisco Bay Area Outings is not a professional food distributor, caterer or preparer. You understand that even when best practices are followed, food preparation carries with it inherent risks that include but are not limited to health hazards resulting from improper transport, handling and storage, which are especially risky when holding this type of event in a remote location such as a camping site with no running water or electricity, in an outdoor setting which is in no way a professional and enclosed kitchen. In addition, you are aware that in a buffet style setting where club members have access to the food tables and dishes, it is even harder to prevent food, utensil or cutlery contamination. You are also aware that other club members beside the Organizers may bring their own food and may offer to share it without the Organizers’ knowledge.
WAIVER: Therefore, in consideration of being permitted to participate in any San Francisco Bay Area Outings event where food prepared, cooked, perishable or otherwise, are transported, further prepared, and consumed, you, for yourself, your heirs, guests, family members, personal representatives or assigns, agents, employees and affiliates, do hereby release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue the Organizers from liability from any and all claims resulting in personal injury, accidents or illnesses (including death), and property loss arising from, but not limited to, participation or food consumption at the Event.
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS: Participation in any Event carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. The specific risks vary and can include but are not limited to cooking food thoroughly; separating and not cross contaminating foods; chilling or refrigerating food appropriately; cleaning foodstuffs, instruments and hands used in and for food preparation; fire or gas hazards.
INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS You agree to INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the Organizers from any, and all, claims, actions, suits, procedures, costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees brought as a result of any involvement in Event, whether brought by you, your company or its agents or employees, or other third parties, and to reimburse the indemnities for any such expenses incurred.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING You have read this waiver of liability, assumption of risk, and indemnity agreement, fully understand its terms, and understand that you are giving up substantial rights, including any right to sue. You acknowledge that participation in the event requires you agree to these terms and that you are doing so freely and voluntarily, are over the age of 18, and intend by your participation to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law.
SOME INDIVIDUALS AT PARTICULARLY HIGH RISK SHOULD TAKE MORE PRECAUTIONS: Pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and those weakened immune systems are at higher risk for severe infections such as Listeria and should be particularly careful not to consume under-cooked animal products. They should avoid soft French style cheeses, pates, uncooked hot dogs, rare meats, and sliced deli meats, which have been sources of Listeria infections. Persons at high risk should also avoid alfalfa sprouts and unpasteurized juices. A bottle-fed infant is at higher risk for severe infections with Salmonella or other bacteria that can grow in a bottle of warm formula if it is left at room temperature for many hours.