What we’re about
Want to learn to speak Spanish? Or practice your Spanish? Or ESL English?
We have Face-to-Face and Zoom Meetings.
We are a mixed-level group of English and Spanish speakers wanting to improve, very informal and very approachable and always welcoming new members!
And it is is FREE! (well, mostly free.)
It's a social group and not a class - just friends helping friends. (And, of course, if you are a native Spanish speaker who is willing to help us Gringos learn, well..... we really need you to join.)
We meet several times per week: in Sarasota cafés/restaurants. We also have "paid", limited attendance, tutoring sessions ($10). You will easily find Study-Buddies to meet on your own time.
We organize other activities related to Hispanic cultures, from salsa dance and Spanish-language movies to volunteer work. (There may even be some travel to Spanish-speaking countries.)
We don't have a lot of rules, but we do have a few.
Membership is free, many Meetups are Free, but some have a small fee.
1. Any Member can post an Event, but, you must attend your events write and update a description, choose the location, set the limits and cancel it if necessary.
2. RSVP Please! We strongly encourage you to RSVP (and un-rsvp). In some cases where seating is limited, it is mandatory. This is how we measure our success, and communicate with each other, and.... it is our 'appearance' to people looking to join.
3. Spend Money at the restaurants! It is difficult to find good locations and we need to be as generous with them and they are with us!
4. Not a School. Please note we are not a school (you need some basic knowledge of Spanish or English) and not all Meetups are suitable for all members.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
Upcoming events (4+)See all
- Monday Spanish Conversation (in small groups)Elixir Tea House, Sarasota, FL
These groups are intended for experienced speakers of the Spanish language. Our goal is to: engage socially while maintaining and improving our linguistic skills
For beginners: we recommend exploring the various classes offered in our community and other meet up groups.
WE CURRENTLY HAVE 2 GROUPS:
Tertulia: A casual gathering for conversations on philosophy, current affairs, arts, and more—all conducted in Spanish. Attendees are native speakers or fluent enough to be able to engage in a naturally paced discussion.
Intermedio: For Intermediate level Spanish speakers, we have a group that convenes simultaneously in a separate room. The focus here is on honing conversational skills via mutual assistance. As this isn't a structured class, there's no formal instructor. Participants must have enough knowledge of Spanish to be able to carry on simple conversations.
- We're a friendly and social group—no one takes themselves too seriously (well, maybe a couple do).
- Politics are off-limits (though current events are fair game).
- While there's no fee for the event, we kindly ask participants to support the establishment where we meet, (and to refrain from bringing your own food and beverage)
- Kindly RSVP when you plan to attend.
For those who also speak French, there's a conversational French group that meets at the same location from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Hosted by Tahja, a local Sarasota performer and dancer fluent in Spanish, French, Italian, German, and more. Tahja is passionate about keeping us engaged through enjoyable conversations. Learn more at www.Tahja.com.
- Club de LibrosLink visible for attendees
We are reading "La Hija de la Española" by Karina Sainz Borgo.
The group meets on Tuesdays at 3 pm and lasts approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
This is a Spanish Book Discussion Club for Intermediate and Advanced Spanish students. It is, however, a mixed-level group which (as we all know presents some problems.) Do your best (I find laughing at myself is quite effective) and you will be welcomed.
Note: If you are an overly-educated-Library-Type that takes Spanish literature too seriously, this group is probably not for you.
You must RSVP... (and mean it and arrive on time) ... and have read the book to date.
We do not read out loud together.
(For that approach.... try the Wednesday Intercambio)
When we meet, we discuss the substance of the story, as well as any interesting grammar, vocabulary and idioms. And we speak entirely in Spanish.
I recommend taking cheat-sheet notes page-by-page, since we discuss the book in chronological order. (This allows the slower speakers, like me, to figure out what is going on.)
- Spanish / English Language Exchange FREE on ZOOM!Link visible for attendees
This Meetup is for people who want to improve their English or Spanish in a friendly group. We try to mix Spanish and English speakers in the group, and help each other with reading, pronunciation, vocabulary, and fluency. Recommended for intermediate level speakers of English and Spanish.
Este Meetup es para personas que quieren mejorar su inglés o español en un grupo amigable. Tratamos mezclar español e inglés en el grupo y nos ayudamos mutuamente con leyendo, la pronunciación, el vocabulario y la fluidez. Recomendado para hablantes de nivel intermedio de inglés y español.
Please RSVP every week!
Por favor, reserve cada semana!
- Spanish English Conversation LIVE! In-person at Gulf Gate LibraryGulf Gate Library, Sarasota, FL
Every two weeks on the 2nd and 4th Thursday.
(It is possible that we will have additional meetings on additional Thursdays. But.... you have to check here for confirmation)
La biblioteca de Gulf Gate ha tenido un círculo de conversación solo en español durante años.
El Grupo está moderado por Ruth de Colombia y Carolina de Venezuela.
Gulf Gate Library has had a Spanish-Only Conversation Circle for years.
The Group is moderated by Ruth de Colombia y Carolina de Venezuela.
Se habla solamente Español
This conversation circle group is a collection of diverse hispano hablantes (or learners) who meet to chat about local or current events, or to just chat.