• What we'll do
You’re invited to a free event at UCL on 19th March as part of the UCL Exhibition “Disruptors & Innovators: Journeys in gender equality at UCL”, we will host a panel of talks on how to open up science and engineering to new audiences, especially the representation of women in science.
When: Monday 19th March 2018, 18:00-19:30
Where: G07 Exhibition Room, Pearson Building, UCL, Gower St, London, WC1E 6BT
Register and get your tickets at the eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/representation-of-the-people-in-science-women-in-civic-and-citizen-science-tickets-42905633906
5:30-6pm: Tour of exhibition
6-6:45pm: Presentations by speakers: a series of 10 minute talks from women working locally in academia, art, science, activism and more.
6:45-7pm: Q&A and discussions with the audience
7-7:30pm: Reception and additional tour of exhibition
This event is part of the UCL Exhibition “Disruptors and Innovators: Journeys in gender equality at UCL”. You can arrive for the 5:30 tour of the exhibition or at 6 for the series of short talks.
* Introduction by Dr Cindy Regalado from UCL Extreme Citizen Science
* Chair: Dr Charlene Jennett, researcher at UCL Interaction Centre will share her research into this fast-growing phenomenon;
* Some recent history of civic science and radical science movement by Dr Alice Bell
* Citizens' use of science to face HS2 by Jo Hurford, local artist and community leader
* Transcribe Bentham by Dr Louise Seaward. Transcribe Bentham is a flagship humanities project at UCL where a significant number of the most active volunteers are women.
* Engineering Exchange by Professor Sarah Bell, director of Engineering Exchange, will present how to open up engineering practices to communities around UCL, and how women’s roles and feminist concepts have enabled this.
HOW TO FIND US
Directions to the "Disruptors and Innovators" Exhibition: Enter the UCL large gates on Gower St, in front of the large stone staircase. There is a door on the left of the staircase which will take you directly into the Octagon (Wilkins Building), where the exhibition “Disruptors and Innovators” is being held. We'll be there to meet you from 5:30 to 6pm. A map pointing you to the Wilkins Building is here.
Directions to our panel of speakers: Enter the large gates on Gower St, in front of the large stone staircase. The first big building on your left is the Pearson Building. Enter the first door on the left after the big gates. You will come to the Geography reception, but we'll have the doors open and signs up. Go into the corridor directly ahead; G07 Exhibition Room will be the first big room on your right. We'll be starting our event here from 6pm, and those who wish can wander back to the exhibition with us at 7pm.
Follow the signage to both the "Disruptors and Innovators" exhibition and G07!
• What to bring
• Important to know