The group is now on break for the holidays and will restart early spring 2019.
Are you interested in the intersection of science & spirituality? This weekly series takes a scientific look at the Bible, the existence of God, and theological concepts. This is not a traditional Bible study but rather examines what science and logic can tell us about considering the Bible in one’s journey through life. It also explores philosophical questions such as “If God made the universe, who made God?”
This study is open to the full spectrum of spiritual beliefs from Christian to atheist and everyone should find it both interesting and challenging. Although the series is co-sponsored by a local church, the meetings are neutral ground for a free discussion of ideas. All that is required is an open mind and a respect for the opinions of others.
You do not need a science background to attend, as the series is geared for a general audience, but in-depth enough to be informative for those holding advanced science degrees. The format will be a 45-minute lecture, followed by discussion and then a time to socialize with others interested in the implications science and logic has on faith.
Topics (subject to change)
1. How does one know if something is true?
2. Formation and structure of the universe
3. Creation of the earth
4. Appearance of life forms before man
5. Arrival of man
6. Evolutionary Theory – Part 1
7. Evolutionary Theory – Part 2
8. Critique of Evolutionary Theory
9. Origin of Life
10. Where we got the Bible – Part 1
11. Where we got the Bible – Part 2
12. If God made the universe, who made God?
13. Noah’s Ark
14. Quantum Mechanics - Part 1
15. Quantum Mechanics - Part 2
16. Cults, deception and bad science
18. The problem of pain & suffering (Thermodynamics part 2)
19. Could there be other universes?
20. Could the Universe be an illusion?
21. Are we alone in the universe? The city of Laodicea
There is no problem joining mid-series as each topic is understandable on its own.