addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Jennifer W.
user 6953917
Group Organizer
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello Everyone!

I am so excited to see our group has members, it is the first Meetup I have started and was quite worried when there were no new members for 2 days! I wanted to get some feedback from the group on our first Meetup. Would everybody like to meet first to get to know each other, and discuss books and group format? Or just "dive in" with a book?

I am open to different kinds of books, here are some books/authors I have enjoyed:

The Help, The Kite Runner, anything by Kristin Hannah, Elin Hilderbrand, Emily Giffin, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (not light reading), Philippa Greggory (The Other Sister was a way better book than movie!), Hope Rising (true story about a woman who started a charity for abused children/abused horses), Mary Higgins Clark and the list goes on.

As you can see, I like all kinds of books (they just have to be good!) and open to suggestions from the group. I am happy to host our first meeting--I live off Scottsdale/Dixileta in North Scottsdale, and thought we could take turns hosting? I was thinking we could do this potluck style with light snacks/deserts. Also, I am thinking a weekday night--preferably Tues-Thursday night.

Let me know what you all think, so excited to meet you all!

Jen
A former member
Post #: 17
Jen, This sounds great! I look forward to meeting you all in February. I think a meet and greet would be nice to introduce ourselves to each other and to the format of the group. Maybe we can selct a book then? Or do you have one in mind already? We share a liking of some of the same authors. Too many books, too many authors, and too little time! :-) If you want to host the first, I could do the second unless someone else steps up. I am around FLW and 100th. In fact, I'm just winding down a remodeling project that has been going on for a month and should be done in the next couple of weeks. The group will be my first social introduction of it all! Thursday evening would be great, and definitely potluck style of snacks/dessert. Maybe an occasional coffee shop or restaurant.

Hope this group will be an active one discussing good books!

Best, Victoria :-)

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Jen. I have also enjoyed most of the books you mentioned. I have just started "The Imperfectionists" and am enjoying it. Perhaps that may be a first book? But I am also in agreement that meeting everyone first makes the most sense.
I would prefer Tuesday or Wednesday evenings as I make my weekly run to the airport every Thursday night to pick up my husband for the weekend. He works out of town from Monday - Thursday.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Jennifer,

I agree that it would be good to meet everyone and choose a book. Any week night is fine for me. It sounds like we all like the same books too. I'm excited to discover some new authors!

Michelle