addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Seattle Jazz Scene Meetup Message Board › Become an event organizer and help take SJS to the next level

Become an event organizer and help take SJS to the next level

Yogi M.
Taking the Seattle Jazz Scene meetup to the next level

Hey Seattle Jazz Scenesters,

Being the meetup organizer is time-consuming but I love doing it. The last organizer eventually had no choice but to give up the group.

I think the meetup has real potential, but it has become obvious I can't take the SJS meetup to the level it needs to be at all by myself. This is because there's a growing number of gigs and sessions happening, and I am playing in three different groups including running my own band, plus holding a day job. The result is a I fall behind on the listings, and people's gigs get left out, and the group members have less choices of gigs here to go to.

So the solution I am thinking of is to "share the love".

SO...I would like for as many of you as want to, to become either Assistant organizers or Event organizers. Email me here, or send me a message through my Facebook (Yogi Terry McCaw) if you'd like to be able to list gigs on the site and email members about them.

Basically you would be able to add gigs and email members. I would still run the site settings, and don't worry about money collection, because I never collect any money for anything here.

You would put gigs directly into the calendar, and there is an option that shares it automatically by email, and/or on your Facebook and Twitter pages. In other words, it's pretty easy to do. And you have gigs you know about that I and others don't know about, so it really helps the meetup to be more useful and fun for members.

Also,if you are a jazz musician, you would list not only your own gigs, but the gigs of jazz groups you like or think will be good shows to attend. In other words, yes, you can use this place to promote your gigs, but please I'm requesting that you think community-minded and also list other people's gigs that you think will be good.

There are also people here that run jazz festivals, or run clubs, and they could select events from their calendars and share them here too.

If you are  avenue owner, please seriously consider sponsoring the Seattle Jazz Scene meetup. Check Lucid's and Skylark's sponsorships on the site. It's easy to do, and advertises your place to people who have already identified themselves as jazz fans. And yes, it's free - sponsorship does not involve giving either meetup or me any money.

I run it on a trust-based model, and so just follow the general rule that the show needs to be jazz or some jazz-influenced style (world jazz, etc) and list Seattle musicians gigs, so we fulfill our pledge to help promote Seattle-based indie jazz music. The world famous musicians already have backing and promotion, and that's not what we are doing here. Some local jazzers have become famous, and it's OK to list when they play smaller venues here for their local fans and friends.

I won't pull anything unless it's obviously outside the guidelines, or other members start complaining. Also, remember NO DIRECT SELLING. This place is a basically a gig calendar, not a sales booth. I'm serious on that last point, so please don't do it. Advertise your wares on your other websites.

It's OK to mention on the calendar listing that the band will have CD for sales from the stage, or that the gig is to help support your new release/project,  but anything beyond that may get your gig 86'd. 'nuff said on that.

So please step forward, and take a few minutes to be an event organizer. It costs you nothing, you can do it as frequently or as little as you want, and listing a gig and blasting it out on email, facebook and twitter takes only about 5 minutes of your time because Meetup has done such a good job with their setup.

Thanks,

Yogi