Serverless Compute Services and Options on Alibaba Cloud && Survey of Data Tools
Adron's "Survey of Data Tools Series 1 of X"
This is the first of a series of talks that Adron Hall will be giving at the start of the next several meetups. In this talk I'll be presenting database schema-migrations for Apache Cassandra and PostgreSQL using several different mechanisms for doing so. In the process of covering this material we'll get migrations setup for bringing the database schema up and bringing the database schema down, talk about the fundamental ideas behind database schema migrations, and why we'd use them in a project in the first place.
There are several key things you'll get out of this talk, including;
- Covering the basic ideas behind database schema migrations.
- How to write out, setup, name, and build out schema migrations using go-migrate as well as straight SQL or CQL.
- Ways to build out a project folder and file structure to incorporate migrations in the project itself.
This session is ideal if you'd like to follow along on your own machine. Here's what you'll need:
- A laptop or device running a major OS like MacOS, Windows, or Linux.
- Have JetBrains DataGrip and JetBrains Goland installed and available for use on the machine.
- Have Go 1.11 or better installed on your machine and configuration in Goland for use.
- Have Apache Cassandra and PostgreSQL installed on your machine either via a Docker Container or locally for use.
Ryan's "Serverless Compute Services and Options on Alibaba Cloud"
Abstract: Statistics show that in recent years, more than 70% of new services or features launched by cloud service providers are serverless. With the increasing types of serverless, users can quickly build elastic and high-availability cloud native applications using multiple services. In this talk, we will give a general overview of what is serverless computing and survey the fields. We will use Alibaba Cloud function compute platform as an example to showcase the type of large scale distributed computing problems one needs to solve and how does it bring values to our users in terms of engineering efficiency, reliability, performance, cost, and security. Come to see behind the curtains how a serverless platform make the servers "disappear" for its users and see a cool demo and try it out for free.
Dr. Ryan Zhang is a large scale distributed computing expert with over 15 years experience in both research and engineering. He earned his Ph.D at Rice University working on scheduling heterogeneous workflows in Grid Computing. He was a founding member of the Azure batch compute service and he is currently a Staff Engineer/Manager working on the serverless compute in Alibaba cloud.
6:30pm Setup & come hang out. Beverages available for $ at the Bistro.
7:00pm Introduction & Announcements
7:10pm Adron Hall Presents .
7:45pm A short break between talks.
7:55pm Ryan Zhang Presents "Serverless Compute Services and Options on Alibaba Cloud".
8:55pm Trek to Collin's Pub for a food & drink on DataStax! Located at 526 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98104
8:00pm After meetup drinks & food ...fini.