The REST API has been called one of the most important additions to WordPress in years. Introduced to the WordPress 4.4 Core, the REST API is still in the early stages, but promises to create new development opportunities (and challenges), changing the way we approach WordPress.
What we'll cover
We'll cover the basics of getting started to creating your own REST API-powered plugin or theme. Including:
• What are web APIs and why are they important
• Installing the WordPress REST API and using it to access your site's data
• Simple, real-world examples of the REST API
• Downsides and risks of using the REST API
• More advanced techniques, such as creating custom end-points, authentication, and using custom post types with the API
• Lastly, resources and tutorials to get you started on your project
After this session, you should feel comfortable jumping into your first WordPress REST API-powered project!
Darren Krape is, by day, a program manager at Amazon and, by night, a WordPress designer, developer, and freelancer. He's been creating sites using WordPress for nearly 6 years, from custom themes and plugins to managing multilingual blog networks for prominent organizations. Find him on Twitter @dkrape and on his site darrenkrape.com.