addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Seattle WordPress Meetup Message Board WordPress Questions & Support › Pasting from Word

Pasting from Word

Sheila H.
user 13704797
Seattle, WA
Post #: 40
I always tell my clients to NEVER paste from Word and if they have to, to use the T icon. I now have a client who gets articles from writers who all use Word. They're filled with links and other formatting. She needs to be able to paste them in from Word and not get the garbage. I had thought that's what the W icon in the "kitchen sink" was for. I actually tried it and it seems to be OK. But the test run by the client left a bunch of Word font/code in the published post and also added unnecessary extra line breaks.

So, what is the easiest and cleanest way to get formatted copy from Word into WP? Thanks!
Elizabeth W.
user 9925398
Edmonds, WA
Post #: 6
Hi Sheila,

I save the .doc file as a .txt file and then copy and paste it. Actually, I tell people to just provide a text file to start with.

Or just copy paste from Word into an open notepad and go form there. Either saving the resulting text file or not.
Ian D.
iandunn
Seattle, WA
Post #: 38
Elizabeth, I think the problem with that would be that they would lose all the formatting (links, italics, tables, etc).

Shelia, you might want to check out this plugin: http://wordpress.org/...­, but I suspect she'll just have to manually check each one after using the 'Paste from Word' feature.
BobWP
bobwp
Ocean Shores, WA
Post #: 24
yeah, I have tried various ways to get Word to paste in without adding any extra code, and have not found one foolproof way yet, even using a plugin. As mentioned I like to start with straight text.

Shelia, I feel you pain. Will be doing this same thing with over 80 Word docs. Let the good times roll!
Sheila H.
user 13704797
Seattle, WA
Post #: 42
WOW Ian...that looks quite promising. I'll check it out. Thanks all.