addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Secular Meditation - Greater Boston Message Board › On Starting Social Conversations with Strangers

On Starting Social Conversations with Strangers

Forrest
user 8991675
Arlington, MA
Post #: 31
Hi.

After last weeks meeting, I sat next to Kieran at Algiers. We hadn't really talked before. He turned to me and asked, "so, what do you do for entertainment?" This was great. A non-standard way of beginning to get to know someone. Open ended, not offensive, and inviting thoughtful (mindful?) participation. Keiran's question fit perfectly with a blog post I had read earlier in the week about "spicing up conversations" when you first meet someone.

http://www.wisebread....­

Read the article, if you like. It's not too long. Essentially, it boils down to NOT asking "so, what do you do?" when you first meet someone. Instead, the author suggests trying questions like these:

What's the most important thing to you in life?
If you had all the money in the world, what is the first thing you would do?
What has been your greatest adventure in life so far?
What have you always wanted to do but haven't had a chance to yet?
If you could wave a magic wand and do or change anything, what would it be?
Where in the world have you always wanted to visit?
What's the number one item on your bucket list?
What are you happiest about right now?

I'm going to try them out in the future.