Sex-Positive Eugene is a member/volunteer led educational organization. Members plan and host events centered around understanding, exploring, and celebrating all aspects of human sexuality.
Topics (to name a few) include:
Sex, sexuality, sexual expression, healthy sexual experimentation
Gender, gender identity, gender fluidity
Educated consent and boundaries
Relationship styles and dynamics
…all are welcome and celebrated and that is what creates such a unique community.
What is sex-positivity?
Sex-positivity is a social movement and philosophy which regards all consensual expressions of sexuality as fundamentally healthy and pleasurable while encouraging sexual exploration, experimentation, and enjoyment. Sex-positive attitudes and philosophies enthusiastically promote and advocate for sex education dedicated to raising awareness around informed consent and risk-awareness sex. Sex-positivity makes no moral distinctions among types of sexual expression, orientation or identification. Sex-positivity regards these choices as matters of personal preference.
…and what does being sex-positive mean to us?
Being sex-positive means living these values – applying them to our everyday lives in ways that build positive communities and foster healthy social relationships. Sex and sexuality is an integral and sacred component of the natural human experience, and when viewed and recognized as such, we rise to higher occasions of acceptance for all lives lived naturally.
What does our group do?
Real world and virtual events include classes, discussion groups, workshops, socials, parties, festivals, and more! These range from member-hosted gatherings in homes, parks, restaurants, outdoor hikes/outings, to signature events and virtual meetups.
Our Mission is to restore and revitalize sleeping components of the world by promoting healthy relationships with our sexual selves while fostering a more global acceptance of this sacred individuality.
We value healthy sexuality that is created through autonomy, boundary setting, enthusiastic consent, and pleasure. We are creating a community based on direct communication, social justice, connection, fun, and support. We value accessible education focused on experiences and growth, and replacing unhelpful patterns of behavior through a diversity of new ideas.
We are a secret group. That means only members can see your profile.
PLEASE FILL OUT ALL QUESTIONS FULLY AND COMPLETELY. Short answers imply you have not read this, and your application will be immediately denied.
What we focus on when evaluating member applications:
• Understanding of sex-positivity. And please note, we are not a dating or sex group - high-esteemed opinions of your abilities will not be wowing anybody. We are a community.
• Your profile must have a personal photo that shows your face. You may choose to have a partner or partners in the photo if your face is the one most centered. We need to recognize you during our check-in procedures.
• Related experience or learning (books, workshops, friendship circles). Total newbies considered, but we’ll be looking for enthusiasm and willingness to learn
• That said, enthusiasm and willingness to learn and be a part of a community rates very high! Volunteer, come out to events, come up with new events. Teach something new
• We are not a hook-up group, a dating site or a place for swingers to play…
• We look for emotional maturity, social awareness, good communication styles, good boundary setting and recognition of others’, and a willingness to grow.
• You ideally live within 60 miles of Eugene or visit often.
• Diversity and equity are very important to our community. Knowing who is in our group gives us a better idea of how we are doing and how we can improve. Please share some of your identities with us (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc) to build a vibrant community.
• If you have a common name, please add an initial or last name. We prefer real names, not aliases.
• You must be over 21
• Couples and partners must apply separately. Please reference each other.
Also, when you fill out your profile, know this information is what other members will see and how they will learn about you and your values.
What we are not:
• A hook-up group or a dating site
· Trolling is not allowed. Do not contact any member unless you have already received clear unambiguous approval from them to do so, preferably in person,
· A political or social activist organization (we are however informed by social justice values – we are the living, breathing creatures of our social activism principals through our everyday existences)
· A therapy or treatment program. While sexual dysfunction and disorders may be discussed, SPE is not intended for treating addiction, trauma, sexual disorders, or other types of mental illness.
· A business. No one makes a profit or gets paid a salary, though some functions that can’t be counted on by volunteers can be compensated. We keep our events low cost or free to help compensate facilitators’ costs.
· Safe. If you need to be VERY safe, this group may not be for you.
How Do I Participate at Events?
At events you are expected to be respectful of the boundaries of others and of the event, to take care of yourself, and honor your boundaries and agreements. Beyond that, anything else is up to you. You will never be expected to do anything you don't want to do or to interact with anyone you don’t wish to. But we do encourage everyone to contribute as active participants through positive social interaction. Opening up through sex-positive values can lead to authentic, respectful, open communication, and discovering your honest desires.
Anyone can attend Level 1 events so please feel free to bring a friend or loved one. However, if you wish to attend Level 2 or higher events you must attend an Orientation, Awesome Boundaries, and a Social.
To keep people where they want to be (not exposed to things they aren't ready for or don't desire) we've developed a level system and you will notice that all of our events will tell you what level that event is, that is, what is the maximum level of contact or sexuality that will be happening.
In a nutshell:
Level 1 is Social/Educational (workshops, classes, outings, discussion groups) Level 2 is Sensual (snuggle parties, group massage, sensation play: touch that is nurturing and affectionate) Level 3 is Sexy without an agenda. Learning how to integrate and create connection. Level 4 is Community.
We have a way of vetting people and helping them work up the level system. But many people are happy staying at Level 1 or 2 or 3.
People tell us our level system is the thing they like the most about our group.