addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Single Parents in Alexandria Message Board › Fall 2013 Update

Fall 2013 Update

Danielle
danielle514
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Hello everyone,
We've grown quite a bit since the summer update!  I hope you all had a great summer and are into the swing of things for the fall.   Just a few notes and updates to bring all of our members up to speed.

Welcome New Members
As of this morning, we have 551 members and are the largest single parent Meetup in our extended area. Thank you to everyone who has joined and I hope to meet many of you over the coming months.
Just as a reminder – this group is for single parents. You need to have children and should be either single, separated, divorced, or widowed.

A Word from our Sponsor:
ASAP Sitters is sponsoring our group which means they are covering the organizer dues and providing exclusive discounts to the members of the group. ASAP Sitters is babysitter referral service. I’ve used the service for over three years and have always been very pleased with the sitters and their management’s customer service.
ASAP Sitters is offering 40% off a one-time referral ($15 for the referral, made 48 hours in advance) and 25% off the annual registration fee. To learn more about ASAP Sitters, please visit their website at www.asapsitters.com
Thanks to Event Organizers
We have been lucky to have several folks ask to be event organizers for our group and they’ve been posting some great events. Thanks to Adam, Kevin, Brian, and Pam for their work in putting together some great events.  Remember, you don't have to be an organizer to host an event!  Any one can post an event!

Setting Up a Meetup
Any member can post a Meetup. If three or more people sign up for the event, it will automatically be advertised to the rest of the group. So feel free to post an event! Or, you can always email me or one of the event organizers and we'll be happy to do it for you.

Many of our events are 'kids-welcome' events, you are welcome to attend even if you don't have the kids at that time. Kids are not required to attend any event. Considering all of our somewhat complicated schedules, we are focused on being flexible and getting together with as little restrictions as possible.

Unsolicited Contact
While Single Parents in Alexandria is a good way to meet other people in a similar circumstance, please do not send unsolicited messages to anyone if you a) haven't actually met them or b) haven't communicated with in some fashion. SPiA isn't a dating website -- there are hundreds of those and, if you came to event, I'm sure you could get great insight on which ones are good.

Spam, and Communications Preferences
I've heard from a few folks that they have gotten spam emails through the Meetup group. You can change your communication preferences by going tohttp://www.meetup.com/account/comm/­and scroll down to 'Who Can Contact Me" you can change the option there. You can set your preference to only allow fellow group members to contact you or that no one can contact you. Also, if you do receive spam, I encourage you to report it to Meetup.com. You can find instructions here.

Thank you for participating,
Danielle