addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

So Cal Photo Explorers! Message Board › I'm ready to get my 1st real camera...

I'm ready to get my 1st real camera...

A former member
Post #: 3
It's time to graduate from the old point and click any suggestions on a semi-pro under a grand?
JJFotography
JJFotography
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
Like political parties, it's usually a choice between Canon and Nikon. I have a Canon Rebel T3 (~$450), my first DSLR camera. The upside is that I can borrow lenses from my boss, so that's something to consider if you have friends willing to let you borrow gear or whom you can split the costs to share.

The one problem I've had is with auto-focus, shooting in low-light conditions w/o flash - camera hunts and hunts and if it can't find focus, won't let you shoot. Need to go manual focus. Apparently different lenses help, but Nikon is supposedly better in low-light auto-focus.

There are also point & shoot cameras with full manual controls, such as the Panasonic Lumix. I was told they have Leica lenses - Leica cameras and lenses are usually very expensive.

Good luck :)
Mike
user 10889749
Simi Valley, CA
Post #: 10
I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel 450D xSI, and I like it a lot. Got it as a package with two decent lenses. I haven't used another DSLR, though, so I can't really compare it to anything.

If you want to do some research, a place that has very thorough reviews, complete with lots of comparison photos, is www.dpreview.com.
A former member
Post #: 4
It's time to graduate from the old point and click any suggestions on a semi-pro [gear] under a grand?
Truthfully, it's not so much the camera body, it's the lens that you get. But, don't be caught up in the "Have to have the best camera body and best lens" attitude to capture the best quality photo. Focus on using what you have to create the best composition in your images.

I am constantly reminded by all of the beautiful images and photos people post online that, everything is subjective. Find what works with you.

Anyway, here's a couple suggestions: If you don't care about built-in video, get a Rebel Xti ($200 used - 350 new)with a mixture of lens. 50mm F1.8 ($50 used - 100 new) Great quality photos comes from this lens and it's insanely cheap. Or spend $425 - $550 and get a Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8. It has great reviews.

I personally shoot with a Canon 50mm F1.8 and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 but I am definitely looking to upgrade to a 24-70mm F2.8L Canon glass in the near future. Tamron makes great lens for 1/4 of the price of Canon lens and the image quality is great.
Eric
rictango
South Pasadena, CA
Post #: 14
You have a wide variety to choose from nowadays that will fit your budget. Just remember that whatever your final choice may be, you will probably stay with that brand. I used to be a Canon user but graduated to Nikon when I went to DSLR. Optics wise I think you will not see a significant difference either way. If you are looking for superior video capability, Canon has the edge. If you can afford it, try to get high-quality pro lenses. DPreview is an excellent resource. Here's another one:www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Cam­era-Lens-Ratings
If you buy used, try to see how many actuations the camera body has to ensure you are not getting someone's worn out camera.
IMHO, you win either way. Happy shopping!