addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Southern NH Ukulele Group (SNHUG) Message Board › Question about CD Songs

Question about CD Songs

Alex K.
user 104980032
Eliot, ME
Post #: 8
Hello everyone,

As both a musician and a person who is accommodating to everyone's levels and abilities, I have a concern regarding some of our song choices. I remember that one reason for recording our CD was as a means of education. We were thinking of also compiling a songbook with lyrics and chords/tabs so that those who may have never played the instrument before could play and sing along. I love that idea!

Because of this, however, I wonder if some of the songs may be too hard for a beginning player to learn. From listening to the Youtube videos, I noticed that a lot of the songs have very quick changes between chords, most of which are dominant seventh chords that resolve around the circle of fifths. (Sorry if you don't know what I mean by that. If you don't, take my theory class in April and May! :D) I feel like those songs are more suited for players who are very comfortable with their chords and can change them quickly. I even remember how much practice it took for the group as a whole to get that chord riff in "Island in the Sun!" That is not a bad thing, just something I would like to point out in a nice way.

I'd love your thoughts.