What we're about
If you're interested in the history of St. Louis, come explore the many historic sites and buildings in the area. Whether it's a historic home, church, a walking tour, or an occasional museum, we'll see the sites of the St. Louis area. This group will primarily be a "weekend only" group, typically meeting up on Saturday mornings/early afternoons with lunch either before or after the event. We schedule 3-4 events every month.
This meetup group typically has dues of $5 per year. But dues have been suspended for a year - until 2023 -for a couple reasons (COVID being one).
Want to know more about our group? There's a lot more info below.
Answers to questions you may have:
So what will we see?
While I'm open to ideas a member has, it's probably already on my list! I have a list of 200 historical things to do around St. Louis. These include Homes, Museums, Walking Tours, Religious Sites, Buildings, and reenactments. ALL events will be docent-led (with the exception of some museum events), so we have an expert telling us about the historical site! We have 5 years worth of events, doing something every weekend; therefore, events will be repeated every 5 years. We'll repeat all events; you just may have to wait a few years if you miss one! In addition, we schedule 3 weekend trips each year to cities within a 4-hour drive to see their history.
What is the geographic area covered by this group?
We have a 25 mile radius with Clayton as our center. This includes Grafton, Elsah, and Godfrey, IL to the north; Edwardsville, O’Fallon, and Belleville IL to the east; Waterloo, IL and Imperial, MO to the south; and Pacific, Defiance, and O’Fallon, MO to the west.
Is there any cost to be a member? (NOTE: dues mentioned below are suspended until 2023!)
Yes. Meetup.com is a business, and they charge me annually to have this site. I’d like to cover my costs as well as the costs of the other three organizers. The cost to join our meetup is $5 PER YEAR. However, you have 6 FREE "trial" months after you first join.
Another cost is that many of the historic sites we visit have admission fees. I will post these when I schedule the meetup. Some of the not-for-profits don’t have admission fees but gladly accept donations. I will suggest a $5 donation for these places, but it isn’t mandatory.
What is the $5 annual fee used for?
I will use the $5 to:
1. Pay the annual fee for hosting a meetup.com group
2. Pay for nametags and ink
3. The host for the event will receive approximately $5 for each event he/she hosts.
OK, how do I pay?
Three ways to choose from:
1. You can send me a private email through meetup and I can send you my address. You can send the $5 by cash or check.
2. Since you have 6 months of a trial period, you can come to an activity in the 6 months and pay me at the first event you attend. (This has proven to be the most popular method).
3. You can pay online through meetup.
What about after the event? We’ll be having such a good time in such good company, we won’t want to break up the party!
That’s why most events will be followed (or preceded) by a lunch. I look for the top rated restaurant in the area of the historic site. This gives us a chance to get to know each other better AND try out new restaurants.
Has the organizer checked out the events beforehand?
Nope – I’m going in knowing as much as you. Sometimes it may be something that I’ve been to before, but the reason I created the meetup group was to visit places I’ve never been. I’ve enjoyed every one we’ve been to so far.
Are there any rules for membership?
As a social group, our objective is to have fun! But I do ask members to observe the following guidelines:
• Please be courteous with your RSVPs. If you RSVP "Yes" to an event, show up! I realize that occasionally last-minute happenings might make it impossible to change your RSVP, but this should be a rare exception, not the rule. And on the occasion where the event is limited, holding a space for yourself when others are on the waiting list, then not showing up, is just incredibly inconsiderate. If your plans change, update your RSVP right away. This is important!. For some events, we will have a waitlist, and those people will need to know as soon as possible if they make it in.
• If you are on the waitlist, please keep checking, especially in the 48 hours prior to the event. There can be a lot of movement on the waitlist in the last 48 hours as people realize they have double booked or other things have come up.
• If you do come to an event, please find me first! That should be easy. In the winter months, I have a pink coat that should stand out. I also have a meetup sign on a pole I’ve made that I’ll be holding at events prior to the start time. You can’t miss me! I’ll have nametags at each event for everyone to wear so we get to know each other.
• I welcome input about any aspect of the group's operation! This most definitely includes historic sites suggestions and restaurant suggestions. And, by all means, if anyone has a negative experience at any event, please bring it to my attention at once. Participating in our events is supposed to be fun as well as informative!
So, in summary, we're here to:
• See new sites!
• Have fun!
• Learn something new about the greater St. Louis area!
• Make new friends!
Hope to see you soon!
General boundaries of our historic sites. Approximately 75% of the events will take place within the I-270 boundary.