What we're about
Stag Walkers is a friendly walking and social group primarily aimed at people in their 20s and 30s but all are welcome and we have members of all ages.
We run weekly walks, on Saturdays or Sundays, varying in length from 5 to 15 miles and we host regular social nights. Walks and socials generally take place across Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and South Cambridgeshire.
The group was formed in 2007 and is not profit making. It is part of and funded by Ramblers, Britain's walking charity. It is run by a group of volunteer Ramblers members who are actively involved in the group.
Why walk with Stag Walkers?
• You want to meet like-minded people who enjoy walking
• You enjoy getting outdoors and exercising
• You want to discover the beauty of Herts, Beds and Cambs countryside
• Take place throughout Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and South Cambridgeshire (although we sometimes go further afield)
• Are on country footpaths, through pretty villages and skirt some of the towns in the area
• Range from 5 miles up to 15 miles
• Are led by members who volunteer their time for free and are insured to lead walks
• Only a selection of our walks are on Meetup.
Socialising with the Group
In addition to walks, we have a regular social calendar. We organize a range of events throughout the year, ranging from monthly ‘meet and greet’ evenings at a pub, to bowling nights, restaurant meals, comedy nights and dog racing.
Joining the Group
You are welcome to join us for a 2 or 3 walk trial period (max 3 months) after that we ask you to become a member of Ramblers. For details on how to join and how much it costs please visit our website (http://stagwalkers.org.uk/about-us/become-a-member.html).
As a charity we ask that non-members consider making a voluntary donation to Ramblers until they become a full member. We suggest £3-4 per walk. A member of the admin team or the walk leader will mention this at the start of the walk and can accept donations on the day.
Ramblers is a registered charity, no. 1093577 (England & Wales). Your donation will go directly towards funding Stag Walkers, and to wider Ramblers charitable activities.
Notes for joining a walk
• Please ensure you bring adequate drinking water for the duration of the walk.
• Please bring a packed lunch & additional snacks if you require them - a lunch stop cannot be guaranteed. Any pub stops tend to be for drinks rather than food to save time.
• Please dress appropriately for the weather and ground conditions. Walking boots and waterproofs are strongly advised in the winter and when wet!
• Please arrive at the meeting point on time, preferably a few minutes early. Walks leave promptly at the stated start time.
• Car sharing from Queen Mother Car Park in Hitchin is encouraged but a lift cannot be guaranteed. We ask members to arrange car sharing between themselves in advance. The Facebook Group or the Meetup discussion board are the best places to do this. If you get a lift with another member please offer a contribution to their petrol of £2-3 depending on distance.
On joining Ramblers as a member of Stag Walkers Walking Group
• You will be sent our quarterly programme of walks (Meetup only shows the next couple of weeks)
• You are entitled to join in any of the group's walks, weekends away and socials
• Your money will help run the group and Ramblers achieve its charitable objectives
• Get great discounts at Cotswold Outdoor, Cottages4you and HF Holidays
• You will receive quarterly FREE walk magazine (rrp: £3.60)
• And more (http://www.ramblers.org.uk/become-a-member/benefits-of-membership/discounts-and-offers.aspx)...
• Don't forget to quote our group code (HF50) when joining!
Please note the following:
• We advertise our walks in a number of places and you will typically find a good sized group of around 10 other walkers on each walk in addition to those you see on meetup.
• You will recognise us as we really do look like Ramblers (only younger) and anyone there can confirm.
• The organiser identified on Meetup is usually different from the actual walk leader. The majority of our walk leaders are not members of Meetup, please see the description of the walk for name and contact details.