Sunday Assembly Grand Rapids (SAGR) is a non-prophet non-profit organization (registered 501(c)(3)). Any and all from around the Grand Rapids area of SW Michigan interested in building the family/community and altruistic functions of church without the "woo" ("supernatural") ... we're participating in a global movement for good and wonder - inspired by The Sunday Assembly. Sunday Assembly Grand Rapids launched to an overwhelming response - and standing room only - on 01/17/2016.
SAGR Organizers participate in our planning meetings on the 2nd Tuesday following the Assembly of each month (see our past meetups).
We also will be scheduling various community action events, "smoups" (common interest "small" + "groups") and fun social activities. So watch for new meetups regularly. Or, if you have an interest you would like to share with like-minded-others, come and help us make that happen.
Sunday Assembly Grand Rapids is dedicated to celebrating this one life we know we have in our monthly assemblies, continuing to grow in our social and community action outreach activities, and eventual accreditation by The Sunday Assembly (International).
The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrates life. Our aim is to live better, help often and wonder more. Our mission is to help everyone first discover and then achieve their full potential. We meet because we know we are stronger together than on our own.
The Public Charter
The Sunday Assembly is a secular congregation that celebrates life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: A Sunday Assembly in every town, city and village that wants one. Our vision: To help everyone live life as fully as possible. We are here for everyone who wants to:
• Live Better - We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be
• Help Often - Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other
• Wonder More - Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
The Sunday Assembly
1. Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
2. Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
3. Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
4. Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
5. Is free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
6. Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
7. Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organizations or services.
8. Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place.
9. We won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can.
10. And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have.
What should you expect from a Sunday Assembly event?
Just by being with us you should be energized, vitalized, restored, repaired, refreshed and recharged. No matter what the subject of the Assembly, it will solace worries, provoke kindness and inject a touch of transcendence into the everyday.
But life can be tough… It is. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, we have moments of weakness or life just isn’t fair. We want The Sunday Assembly to be a house of love and compassion, where, no matter what your situation, you are welcomed, accepted and loved.