Join our secular community, where we find ways to live better, help often, and wonder more! Our monthly assemblies are a great time to come learn what we are all about. We welcome all families and individuals. We hope you'll join us!
Assemblies are held the 4th Sunday of each month. Wonder Club is held on the 2nd Saturday of each month. Philosophy Talk varies between the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month.
The Sunday Assembly Olympia (SAO) is a secular community that celebrates life.
Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more.
Our vision: To help everyone live life as fully as possible.
We are here for everyone who wants to:
Live Better. We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be.
Help Often. Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other.
Wonder More. Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
The Sunday Assembly
• Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
• Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
• Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
• Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting. We are an inclusive community made up, primarily, of agnostics and atheists.
• Is free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
• Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
• Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organizations or services
• Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place
• We won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can
• And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have
Each month in 2020 we have a different THEME that we discuss throughout our Assembly and small groups. Our Motto is Live Better, Help Often, Wonder More; and we want to incorporate that into our planning because that is, after all, what SAO is all about.
So, for each month our discussion group, Philosophy Talk, will discuss a topic within the overall theme of the month that helps us to “Live Better.” Our monthly Assemblies will focus on the “Help Often” aspect of that month’s theme, and finally our discussion group, Wonder Club, will have fun talking about a topic that falls into the monthly theme that we can all “Wonder More” about.
————————— Philosophy Talk | Live Better How can we as individuals (non-believers) lead a meaningful, ethical, and fulfilling life
Assembly | Help Often Topics that support our ability to empathize and support our SAO community; and provide us with information about how we can support the needs of our larger Olympia community.
Wonder Club | Wonder More Scientific topics that cause us to reflect on “what ifs?” that we are curious about. Topics don’t require any level of expertise —————————
And the best part? We already know what all the themes will be for the entire year! Sometimes we will have speakers, sometimes we will have TedTalks or other videos to watch, and sometimes it may be more participation based or discussion oriented. But topics will always fall within these themes for each month:
————————— 2020 MONTHLY THEMES January | Government and Politics February | Racial Equity March | Economics April | The Amazing Brain May | Health and Wellness June | Grief and Loss July | Nature August | Earth and the Universe September | The Nature of Work October | The Arts November | Gratitude December | Celebration and Giving —————————
We are excited about all these themes and hope they bring forth some really great conversations. If you have any suggestions about potential topics, speakers, videos, etc. for any of these themes please let us know!
NOTE: themes may be rearranged to accommodate speaker availability, but we will try to limit that as much as possible.