"Fashion is the second most polluting industry in the world." - True Cost. We are here to be "part of the answer" and help work towards the change we want to see in this world through our consumption and lifestyle choice to make, share, and consume products responsibly, ethically, and sustainably.
We are excited to gather individuals and groups interested in all forms of sustainable fashion and style! From clothing swaps to DIY projects, from vintage shopping excursions to member drinks to up-cycling challenges, local clothing donation drives to mending workshops, we've got a growing collection of ideas and connections and aim to bring you all together under one awesome, collaborative, friendly umbrella in NYC.
We suspect you've heard about organization guru Marie Kondo by now, and with your unique interests in sustainability and fashion, you might have everyone you know sending you articles and tagging you in posts related to the book and show. How does that make you feel? What do you wish were different? Are you (like us) worried that all these thrift store donations are just going to go straight to the landfill?!!
Let's get together at this month's meetup for a group discussion about the growing movement to "Tidy Up" and purge closets. How we might use this opportunity to have a fruitful discussion with our communities about sustainability and lasting, positive, habitual change to mindset and behavior? How might we make Tidying work for all types of styles and budgets, beyond Minimalist?
Through this conversation, we aim to equip ourselves with ideas, conversation tidbits, and action points to connect the declutter movement to sustainable fashion and help people achieve feel-good closet status that truly lasts!
*Please note the timing as this is SFC's first Morning Meetup! We'd love to meet some of you who haven't been able to join for an evening event, and hope to see some familiar faces as well!*
Goals for this Meetup:
- Cathartic: Set an intention for the day/weekend related to decluttering your wardrobe, schedule, and/or mind
- Practical: bring 1-2 clothes, we will learn how to fold them KonMari-style
- Reflective: Watch a Netflix episode, read a chapter from Marie Kondo's book ahead of time to discuss your reactions (suggested but not required)
- Level-Up: A styling expert from our community will talk about her experience, best practices for closet clearout, and hopes for the future of sustainable wardrobes
- Connection: Meet someone you haven't before, or connect deeper with an acquaintance, to strengthen our bonds as a community in NYC