addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Twin Cities Disc Golf Meetup Message Board Courses › Shakopee Lions Park Disc Golf Course

Shakopee Lions Park Disc Golf Course

Cody
user 12978577
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
Hello, I recently started to get into Disc golf in the Denver area and will be flying to MN for a couple of months, staying in Shakopee. And so my question is would anyone be interested in joining me on like a weekly basis starting sometime mid-may? I'm thinking like once a week and a round or two each time, My main aims would be to have a good time and to improve my skills dramatically.

Here is a little info about the course: The 18-hole Disc Golf course is pretty well maintained, much cleaner than most in the area. Also a notable lack of trouble causers and pedestrians.

Hole 1: an easy left dogleg between three trees. Just curve it around the fence for an easy putt.

Hole 2: a short, straight shot between the legs of a high voltage power line tower. Just miss the tower and you can make this in two.

Hole 3: looks tougher than it is, let your shot dogleg to the left a bit more than normal and the tree in front of the tee is no problem.

Hole 4: a mid-range uphill shot into a small grove of pines. When in doubt, aim to the right a bit.

Hole 5: a nice downhill toss, aim a little lower and to the right than you think you should.

Hole 6: uninteresting open field, hope you've got the arm to get it down to the pin.

Hole 7: first of three water hazards. If you've got the arm, just throw over the water. The bank is a bit steep on the side by the pin so keep it off there or you'll have to take a stroke from the water.

Hole 8: second water hazard. Needs a slightly better drive than 7.

Hole 9: follow the road, some people shoot at the 16 pin because they're so close together. Be gutsy on your approach as the grass is long enough to catch your disc if you miss.

Hole 10: from 9, turn around and walk back towards the water, don't go up by the tennis courts. The hole is uninteresting, just throw hard.

Hole 11: another uphill shot. The grass is usually longer here too so you won't be able to roll a shot very well.

Hole 12: this one's fun, throw over the little pine tree to the big ones over by the water-slide. Most people make an approach shot into the dirt under the trees and then kneel down for a put under the branches. Don't overshoot your approach unless you're a good putter.

Hole 13: climb the hill, watch out for the disc eating trees as you'll not be able to climb them. An easy 2 if you miss the trees.

Hole 14: can be tough for the distance you have to throw as the trees are in the path of your throw. Make a shorter drive and then take a long putt.

Hole 15: this one isfun, a downhill shot, through some tall ash, that if mastered can be made in 2. Weave through the trees or keep it to the left a bit.

Hole 16: height control is a must here, skim over the little hill or you'll hit the branches of the trees on the other side.

Hole 17: a pretty long shot. Aim for where the berm and the big hill meet, then putt (or make another approach) to the pin. If you go to the left to get over the berm, there's a good chance your shot will roll down the hill to the fence and you'll be forced to make an extra approach after getting out of the trees.

Hole 18: a straight shot between some trees. Weave through the first two and keep it straight. The ditch to the left has some drainage stuff and the water hazard to the right is just gross.

Cody Stugelmayer
Jonathan
user 8199508
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 128
Lions Park is a GREAT short course. I'd play it more often if it wasn't such a LOOONG drive from the city proper.

Let us know when you get into town, we'll set up an event down there and play some disc!
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 123
I agree with jonathan. Also, that course is terrible on any day with wind, it's out in the open with flat land all around.

Another course we'll play a lot is Hyland. It's located at a ski and snowboard park, so it's hilly and long.

Aside from all that I usually play Staring Lake a couple of times a week during lunch. It's a real short course in Eden Prairie.

Let us know when you get here and we'll play some rounds
Cody
user 12978577
Denver, CO
Post #: 6
Alright I'm finally in Shakopee, I need to buy a set of discs and all be ready.
Kinnell
Kinnell
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 127
I highly suggest Air Traffic in the Eden Prairie Mall
Tina
user 9907997
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 21
Alright I'm finally in Shakopee, I need to buy a set of discs and all be ready.
I'm a fan of Gotta Go Gotta Throw, but if you don't have any discs, don't fret we always have extras :D
Cody
user 12978577
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
I got a call yesterday and was offered a job I couldn't refuse. That being said I will be back in Shakopee on Aug 20th 2011. Sorry If I let any of you down I really would like to meet you when I get the chance.