addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

TCM Classic Movie Fan Club - LOS ANGELES Message Board › The LATEST UPDATES on the Upcoming TCM HOLLYWOOD FILM FEST--Buy Your Passes

The LATEST UPDATES on the Upcoming TCM HOLLYWOOD FILM FEST--Buy Your Passes NOW!!!

Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 62
Jono, just bought his $549 CLASSIC PASS, so hope our group will have a decent representation at the fest. I recommend that at the very minimum that you buy the least expensive PALACE PASS that will at least get you into the 2 largest venues--the main Chinese Theatre and the always popular Egyptian Theatre (the only regular festival venue that can screen actual 70mm film prints--though the Cinerama Dome will be utilized for a a couple of special screenings).

Below is the latest news, the fest is shaping up to be more and more exciting...

Among the newly added events, composer Carl Davis will conduct a live performance of his
original score for a screening of the silent classic It (1927), starring Clara Bow. In addition, the
festival will feature a special celebration of Bugs Bunny's 75th Birthday, with a collection of
classic Looney Tunes shorts curated and introduced by film critic and historian Leonard
Maltin and animation historian and author Jerry Beck; a 60th anniversary screening of the
western classic Hondo (1953), starring John Wayne and presented in its original 3D format;
and a 50th anniversary screening of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), Stanley
Kramer's all-star comedy extravaganza, plus a screening of the globe-trotting Cinerama
Holiday (1955), both presented in their widescreen glory at Arclight Cinema's Cinerama
Dome.

The following are descriptions of the newly added films and events lined up for the 2013 TCM
Classic Film Festival:

75th Anniversary of Bugs Bunny – Collection of classic cartoons curated and presented
by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck TCM celebrates one of the most beloved animated characters of all time with a collection of classic shorts starring Bugs Bunny. Film critic, historian and author Leonard Maltin, one of the leading authorities on animation, and animation historian Jerry Beck, author of The Animated
Movie Guide, will introduce the cartoon favorites, taking the audience through Bugs Bunny's
fascinating history.

It (1927) – featuring a live performance of the orchestral score commissioned by
Photoplay Productions for the Thames Silents series, conducted by its composer,Carl
Davis. Clara Bow gives a career-defining performance as a shop girl who uses her romantic charms
to pursue her wealthy employer. This is the silent classic that cemented Bow's status as the
screen's most popular naughty girl.

Flying Down to Rio (1933) – 80th anniversary screening with brand new print
This delightful RKO musical follows the romance between a bandleader and the beautiful
young fan who catches his eye. Although Gene Raymond and Dolores del Rio play the central
characters, it is a couple of supporting players named Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire who
really steal the show in their first-ever on-screen pairing.

Shane (1953) – 60th anniversary screening
George Stevens' classic western stars Alan Ladd as a former gunfighter who defends a
homesteader's family from a ruthless gunslinger. Van Heflin, Jean Arthur (in her final film) and
Brandon de Wilde play the family, with Jack Palance turning in a memorably menacing
performance as the villain. Shane won an Oscar for Loyal Griggs' stunning cinematography.

Hondo (1953) – 60th anniversary screening in 3D
John Wayne stars as Hondo Lane, a cavalry rider who becomes the designated protector of
the strong-willed homesteader Angie Lowe (Geraldine Page), as well as a father figure to her
boy, Johnny (Lee Aaker). Together, they face growing danger from warring tribes nearby. John
Farrow directed this exciting western written by James Edward Grant and based on a Louis
L'Amour story. Hondo will be presented in its original 3D format.

Cinerama Holiday (1955) – sponsored by Arclight Cinemas and presented in Cinerama
at Arclight's Cinerama Dome Two real-life couples – John & Betty Marsh of St. Louis and Fred & Beatrice Troller of Switzerland – travel to each other's countries and check out the many wonderful sites in this
travelogue delight. Designed to envelop the audience with its wide-screen imagery, including
lavish stage productions, bobsledding and a county fair, Cinerama Holiday was the second film
made specifically for Cinerama. The film will be presented in Cinerama using a new digital
edition scanned from the original three-strip negatives.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) – 50th anniversary screening sponsored by
Arclight Cinemas and presented in 70mm at Arclight's Cinerama Dome
Billed as "the biggest entertainment ever to rock the screen with laughter," this wacky comedy
features a massive cast of Hollywood stars, including Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar,
Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas,
Jonathan Winters, Edie Adams, Dorothy Provine, Jimmy Durante, Paul Ford, Peter Falk and
Buster Keaton…to name a few. The story involves a race to find a buried fortune left behind by
a suspect in a tuna factory robbery. Stanley Kramer directed this lavish production, which will
be presented in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome, where it first premiered in 1963 to mark the
theater's grand opening.

This year's TCM Classic Film Festival will take place Thursday, April 25 – Sunday, April 28.After opening with a gala presentation of the brand new restoration of the musical classic
Funny Girl (1968), the festival will feature appearances by Tippi Hedren at a 50th anniversary
screening of the Alfred Hitchcock classic The Birds (1963) and documentary filmmaker Albert
Maysles at a tribute to his extraordinary career, including presentations of his films Gimme
Shelter (1970) and Salesman (1968). The festival lineup will also feature a world-premiere
restorations of world premiere restorations of The Big Parade (1925), The General (1926),
Giant (1956) and The Great Escape (1963), along with many other films.

Cinematic Journeys: Travel in the Movies, the theme for the 2013 TCM Classic Film
Festival, will explore how movies can carry viewers beyond their hometowns to distant or
imaginary locales, where they can be transformed by great storytelling. Often, the mode of
travel provides the filmic inspiration, whether it's planes, trains, or automobiles. At other times,
the trip itself serves as the central narrative, as in the case of many "road movies." With
Hollywood as the starting point, TCM's cinematic excursion will take festival attendees on a
fascinating journey to worlds both familiar and new.

You can be updated on Twitter about the TCM Classic Film Festival at the below weblink:
Twitter: http://www.twitter.co...­
Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 67
The 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival continues to expand, with newly added appearances by legendary stars at
screenings of some of their most memorable films, including Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Mickey Rooney,
Jonathan Winters, Marvin Kaplan, Barrie Chase, Polly Bergen, Coleen Gray, Theodore Bikel and Norman
Lloyd, as well as producer Stanley Rubin, Clara Bow biographer David Stenn, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
film collections manager Katie Trainor and director Nicholas Ray's widow, Susan Ray. In addition, TCM's
Essentials Jr. host and Saturday Night Live star Bill Hader will present screenings of Shane (1953) and The
Ladykillers (1955). And The Film Forum's Bruce Goldstein will present a special screening of Frank Capra's
The Donovan Affair (1929), complete with live voice actors and sound effects to replace the film's long-lost
soundtrack.
Mel Brooks is slated to talk about his comedy The Twelve Chairs (1970). Carl Reiner, Mickey Rooney, Jonathan
Winters, Marvin Kaplan and Barrie Chase will reunite to celebrate the 50th anniversary screening of It's a Mad,
Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), which will be presented in 70mm at Arclight's Cinerama Dome. Polly Bergen will
attend a screening of J. Lee Thompson's Cape Fear (1962), while Coleen Gray is set to appear at a screening of
Stanley Kubrick's The Killing (1956). Theodore Bikel will be on hand for a presentation of The African Queen
(1951). And Norman Lloyd will chat about his long professional association with Alfred Hitchcock at a screening of
the director's delightfully droll thriller The Lady Vanishes (1938). In addition, the festival's tribute to Max Von
Sydow will now include a newly added screening of Three Days of the Condor (1975), along with the previously
announced screening of Ingmar Bergman's classic The Seventh Seal (1957).
Also slated for the festival, producer Stanley Rubin will talk about his experience making the colorful western
River of No Return (1954), directed by Otto Preminger. Clara Bow biographer David Stenn will introduce the
previously announced silent classic It (1927), featuring a live performance of the score conducted by its
composer, Carl Davis. MoMA's Katie Trainor will present the rarely screened romance I Am Suzanne! (1933).
And director Nicholas Ray's widow, Susan Ray, will talk about her late husband's work at a screening of the
groundbreaking crime-drama They Live by Night (1949).
Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 68
INDIVIDUAL TICKETS TO THE 2013 TCM FILM FEST are available--subject to availability--for $20 at the door and are usually available at the larger venues including screenings at the Chinese Theatre's main auditorium, the Egyptian Theatre, The El Capitan Theatre and the Cinerama Dome. Last year American Cinematheque members who showed their membership I.D.s also got 50% off their ticket (not sure if they were allowed to buy 2 at the reduced price or not). In any case, I am waiting to get a confirmation from the Cinematheque that the same policy will be honored this year--will update everyone once that becomes known.

As of 3/18 I believe there are at least 6 or 7 of our members who bought actual festival passes--the MATINEE PASS for $350 entitles holders to all screenings slated to start by 6pm each day at ALL venues and daytime access to Club TCM. The $250 PALACE PASSES allow admission to all Chinese Theatre main auditorium (except Opening Night FUNNY GIRL screening) and the Egyptian Theatre, however, do not allow any access to Club TCM. Club TCM aside from being an elaborate supper club-type lounge often hosts intimate Q & A sessions with Hollywood luminaries.

I think either are good so long as you realize you will likely be limited to seeing a maximum of 3 movies per day with the MATINEE PASS and likely similar for the PALACE PASS versus the CLASSIC PASS which should enable viewers to see 4-5 movies for day (or 6 if you attend a late night showing).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO OUR ATTENDING MEMBERS is to take advantage of the HAPPY HOUR at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel's 25 DEGREES restaurant (facing Hollywood Blvd) DAILY from 3-6pm and on the fest's OPENING NIGHT Thurs 4/25 from 11pm-1am. That first night's programming usually ends by 11pm so perhaps those of our Group who are NOT attending the $1,600 SPOTLIGHT PASS HOLDERS big "Vanity Fair" gala party can hopefully all meet for that late night happy hour at the end of the evening? Compared to drink prices inside the hotel or Club TCM (where one small glass of wine can cost $15), the 25 DEGREES restaurant (which has fantastic burgers and Guiness milk shakes--by the way) offers Well Cocktails for only $6, a selected premium microbrew beer for $4, house wines for only $5, delicious fries, sweet potato fries and donut sized onion rings for only $2 and jumbo Boback hot dogs for only $5. Last year I got my happy hour wine (Coppola Chardonnay no less!) at 25 Degrees for only $5 then was allowed to walk into Club TCM with it (instead of paying $15 for a smaller glass of Two Buck Chuck-type non-name brand wine at its own event bar).

I always plan on attending the fest's unique Thurs 4/25 Opening Night non-gala (but fun with special guests) outdoor, EVENING POOL SIDE SCREENING because the pool is usually decked out, they have tons of outdoor gas heaters and it is the only outdoor screening of the entire fest--but bring a jacket or sweater. And if you get there at least 40 minutes early you should be able to score a chaise lounge or other comfortable seating.

More details soon!--JONO
Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 69
AS OF APRIL 4, 2013 see latest TCM Festival additions below!!!

Some newly announced highlights include:
Just added special guests, including: actress and singer Lulu will be in attendance for TO SIR WITH LOVE (1967), producer Walter Mirisch in person at a world premiere restoration screening of THE GREAT ESCAPE(1963), actor Julian Sands with A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1985), Norman Lloyd with a special 3-D presentation of DIAL M FOR MURDER(1954)
New Festival venue the El Capitan Theatre will host the Disney animated classic LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955), George Cukor's delightful MY FAIR LADY (1964), and GUYS AND DOLLS (1955)
Essential classics like CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (1937), NINOTCHKA (1939), THE LADY EVE (1941), GILDA (1946), THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955), CAPE FEAR (1962) and many more
Night owls can enjoy midnight screenings of director Ed Wood's PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959) and the ISLAND OF LOST SOULS(1932)
Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 70
If you already have a festival pass for the upcoming 2013 TCM FILM FESTIVAL can you please e-mail me your cell number and individual e-mail address so I can contact you during the festival and so we can all periodically socialize, grab lunch, hang together, attend and sit as a group at some screenings, etc.

PLEASE USE MY PERSONAL E-MAIL ADDRESS which is:

jon90027@pacbell.net

If you DO NOT have a festival pass, but interested in attending INDIVIDUAL FESTIVAL SCREENINGS--great news--the formal schedule was just announced TODAY (web link below). But IMPORTANTLY you should know that if you are also an American Cinematheque member and show your Cinematheque membership card at the TCM festival screening location that you will be allowed to buy such individual screening tickets for ONLY $10 instead of the regular $20 price (and $15 for the Closing Night program instead of the regular $30 price).

The American Cinematheque is a non-profit film lover's organization that operates and programs both the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood and Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. For their own screenings--which we frequently attend members screening tickets are only $7 instead of the usual $11 fee--so for even that savings it is worth becoming a member.

To join the American Cinematheque onliine, please visit the below link--but do so soon so you can receive your membership card prior to the upcoming TCM Fest so you will be able to buy $10 tickets to most (not all) of the festival's movie screenings. Basic annual individual memberships are $65 and student/seniors $55--which is also tax deductible.

http://www.americanci...­

AND BELOW IS THE NEWLY RELEASED SCHEDULE--SHOWING MOVIES, TIMES & SCREENING VENUES FOR THE TCM 2013 FILM FESTIVAL!!!

http://filmfestival.t...­

Note: The smaller multiplex venues have more of a tendency to sell out quickly and not have individual tickets available, but screenings in the main Chinese Theatre auditorium, the Egyptian Theatre, the El Capitan Theatre and Arclight's Cinerama Dome should be available for individual ticket purchases--but needless to say the earlier you arrive the better and at least one hour before the screening time is recommended. The way it works is TCM does not sell individual tickets until about 20-30 minutes before the showtime to allow pass holders to get in and take their seats--but they sell them on a first come, first served basis in order of who is in a standby line. Many people have gotten in to the big venues in prior year's festivals so do not be discouraged. Patience and perseverance pays off.
Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 74
MEMBERS FINDING EACH OTHER AT THE FESTIVAL--If you have an Android or iPhone and download the free Meetup.com Smartphone App. when you click on the our club's listing for the TCM FILM FESTIVAL then you can keep adding up to the minute comments that other member festival goers will be able to read .

For example, tomorrow night I am going to mention that I am at the Poolside Screening of SOUTH PACIFIC in case any one else is there and wants to find me to sit together. The newest online comments keep rising to the top--appear first so throughout the festival those with either iPhones or Androids can know where other members are--in case people want to meet for a meal, drink or just touch base.

For any of you who have not been online to check our group's webpage, it was announced that Barbara Streisand will not attend tomorrow night's event, but has sent a special detailed announcement that Robert Osborne will read to the audience. It was rumored that Omar Sharif might also attend on a last minute basis, but it was revealed that he is in Europe and unable to appear. However, I suspect TCM will dig up somebody else to talk about the making of the film--it will be a surprise that is for sure. Now I don't feel too badly that I will be missing this screening since it already went through a major restoration about just 3-4 years ago. The original roadshow prints had outstanding multi-track stereo, but sometimes digital restorations don't reproduce those tracks--if any of you go let me know since I will be at the SOUTH PACIFIC screening at the Roosevelt.

FYI--to my knowledge this is the first year that ALL of the festival level passes have sold out--NO MORE WILL BE SOLD AT THE FEST--just individual standby tickets.

JONO

Jono
JonoBear
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 76
IMPORTANT LAST MINUTE FESTIVAL TIPS---
Though we are likely not going to share interest in seeing all the same movies, many of you had asked specifically which movies I am planning to see and where I will be so I can be located for conversation, coffee or wine breaks, lunch or dinner, etc. Unfortunately, my food is probably for the most part going to have to be "on the run" due to the festival's screening schedule. But in any case I created a MEMBER BLOG on our Group's Webpage that has my entire festival screening schedule and you are welcome to add your own personal festival screening schedule as well as any festival comments or observations. It is on this same DISCUSSION PAGE labeled as FESTIVAL MEMBER MESSAGE BLOG.

FOR PASSHOLDERS--Remember ARRIVE at least 30-45 MINUTES BEFORE EACH SCHEDULED SCREENING and go to the end of the waiting line for that particular movie/theatre location to receive a "Screening Number Ticket." If after getting that ticket you need to use the restroom or grab a quick coke or candy you can quickly do so then return to that same line because it is essentially that "Screening Number Ticket" which ensures that you will get in (without that Screening Number Ticket you will probably NOT get in--even with your festival pass).

Sometimes, be forewarned, even with the Screening Number Tickets, certain theatres will be overbooked and you may still not get in. That is why it is best to arrive as early as possible--especially to those movies and events that you know will be popular. For the EVA MARIE SAINT interview event I would say to arrive 45 MINUTES EARLY.

The Chinese Multiplex Theatres are small so they get booked fast. Here is the seating capacity for each room. If any of the movies you want to see are Chinese 4 or Chinese 6 then make sure you arrive NO LATER than 30 minutes early (and 40 minutes would be a lot better!) House 1 is nearly 500 seats, but I would still recommend arriving for it NO LATER than 25-30 MINUTES EARLY.

Chinese Multiplex Seating Capacities

Chinese 1: 477 Seats
Chinese 4: 177 Seats
Chinese 6: 250 Seats

FOR NON-PASS HOLDERS--INDIVIDUAL TICKET BUYERS: I would not bother trying to see any screenings in Chinese 4 or Chinese 6 because these auditoriums barely hold 200 people and they will likely be snapped up by pass holders first.

Hope you get the above info and that it helps you figure out your plans.

See you soon!

JONO