What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
NOTE: if joining us for the 1st time, your GPS will try to take you about 1.5 miles past the shelter entrance...do not follow it and enter the gated property instead.
A $10/participant donation is requested and can be paid via cash, check or credit card. Thanks for your support of our nonprofit organization!
The ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/animal-homelessness/shelter-intake-and-surrender/pet-statistics) indicates that of the roughly 3.9 million dogs entering shelters per year approximately 31% are euthanized. In some urban areas these numbers run as high as 78%.
Be a part of reducing euthanasia rates by hiking with local homeless hounds. Socialization and exercise can reduce kennel related stress and anxiety and improve shelter dog behaviors, thus extending their lives!
Tails of the Trail invite you to hike with shelter dogs for a couple of hours of exercise and companionship. We’re partnering with Cheatham County Animal Control (https://www.facebook.com/ccactn/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf) and we may hike with our furry pups at Hidden Lake State Park (a mere 5 miles from the shelter) or at Pegram Park (about 2 miles away).
9:00a – Arrive at Cheatham County Animal Control (CCAC) to attend our required orientation.
9:30a – Get paired with your pup! Drive to the designated Park.
9:45a – Arrive at Hidden Lake Double Loop to begin our hike. This is an easy to moderate trail totaling 1.9 miles. Or we may walk the dogs at Pegram Park pending high Summer temperatures.
11:00a – Conclude hike for dog cool down, brushing and frozen pupsicle or pupcup treats. Thereafter return to CCAC to settle the pups back into their beds for a deserved nap.
11:15a - Now it's time for human treats!
11:30a - Conclude event and thanks for joining us today.
What to bring:
• You may bring a guest but only one dog per RSVP.
• Dog treats
• Children over the age of 10 are welcome to participate with a parent or guardian. Kids may not be the sole leash holder for the dog.
• A seat covering, blanket or towels to protect your vehicle's interior as each participant will transport their hiking companion.
• Optional donations for shelter: treats, new or used toys, paper towels, peanut butter, new/old leashes.
• No personal pet are allowed.
• Please load the app WoofTrax (aka Walk For a Dog) on your smartphone and select Cheatham County Animal Control as your sponsored shelter so they can earn financial donations from our event.
For your safety and the safety of the dogs:
• You must sign a waiver from CCAC. Click here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfr7rhtl2tvzgik/Cheatham%20County%20Waiver.pdf?dl=0) to open the document. Print, fill it out and bring with you to save time during orientation. You only need to do this on your first visit.
• Read our Volunteer Orientation guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjs1nl5b1muqccx/Volunteer%20Orientation.docx?dl=0) prior to arrival.
• No dogs off leash at any time.
• Be sure you're comfortable with transporting a dog in your own car. Only one dog allowed per vehicle and not when children are in the car.
Thanks to our sponsor:
Nature's Select (https://nstennessee.secure.force.com/)