addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Texpats NYC Message Board › Tips for Texpats in the Dark

Tips for Texpats in the Dark

A former member
Post #: 3
Call me reckless, but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say the world is not going to end on Friday. What will occur, though, is the Winter Solstice, otherwise known as the Shortest Day of the Year. If you're a new arrival to New York, what you're experiencing for the first time is this region adopting an attitude of latitude. It's getting dark ridiculously early, and calling 311 to complain is getting you nowhere.

Here, then, are some helpful hints for making it through this dismal time of the year, when, even when the sun is up, it's still so low in the southern half of the sky as to give the daylight a weird and off-kilter appearance.

Keep the Lights On
If you're anything like me, and you spend a lot of your time with your face in a computer screen, you don't like a lot of fluorescent lights on, as it gives you eye strain. This time of year, though, you want to fight through it (or wear a ball cap or golf visor). Your home and workspaces should be brightly lit throughout what we think of as "normal" daylight hours, to keep your circadian rhythm in proper sync. Let that get out of whack, and you could develop depression, or something equally unpleasant.

Eat Foods Rich in Vitamin D
Limited exposure to sunlight can cause your Vitamin D levels to fall off, as sunlight is what keeps those levels up in the first place. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to fun things like bone pain and muscle weakness, so you'll want to eat plenty of foods that are rich in that important nutrient. A list of Vitamin D-rich foods can be found here.

Get Plenty of Exercise
That can be a tough one. Gym memberships are expensive, and no one but the most committed among us are too thrilled to go out and walk or run in dreary, crappy weather. There are plenty of things you can do at home, though, that will keep you in some decent shape through the winter months.

Click this for a website that has free Yoga instructional videos, or click this for a guide to the (not kidding) Convict Workout.

Anyone have some more suggestions? I'm sure our new arrivals would greatly appreciate it!