addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Doctor Who Meetup Message Board › Meet-up post Series 6

Meet-up post Series 6

A former member
Post #: 2
We are rapidly approaching the end of the current season crying
It would be great if we could carry on with the Saturday meet-ups
(assuming the Full English Cafe haven't had enough of us)

As a long time Dr Who fan, I notice that many of the attendees are not familiar with classic material.

I would propose that we could view some of the best, more accessible classic material for a few weeks
after the season close, and see what the general response is like.

My proposal for episodes would be:

Week 1: Show a Sarah Jane Adventures Double Bill with the new series Doctors. David Tennant (Wedding of Sarah Jane) and Matt Smith (Death of the Doctor)

Week 2: Show the 5 Doctors (Doctors 1.5, 2, 4, 5 and a cameo of 4)

Week 3: Show The Ark in space (Solid 4th Doctor Story)

Week 4: Show Remeberance of the Daleks (Excellent 7th Doctor story)

Week 5 Show Spearhead from Space (The 3rd doctor opener - with similarities to Rose and the 11th hour)

Perhaps in the third week of November we could show 'An unearthly child' + the 3 cave dweller episodes. (1st ever Doctor Who adventure for those who don't know) - This will be the 48th Aniversary.

Then see what attendance and all round opinion is like. If things are slow perhaps show some new series episodes (Is anyone interested in seeing the Doctor Who Confidentials?)

Additionally, if anyone is interested I have the full 24 episodes of the recent k9 Adventures series on region 0 disks! (Perhaps an episode each week as an early opener when people are arriving).

Does the Full English Cafe have a DVD player or means of us connecting one up to the projector and sound system (I presume so but it is worth checking).

Anyway that is my Tuppenceworth (British expression, look it up if you want ;-) )
Brian S.
user 10235746
Austin, TX
Post #: 42
Holly and I would love to do that!

We've been skipping the New Who meetings just cuz I like my FIRST viewing of a Dr Who story to be in a quiet controled environment. But I'll happily watch any story I've seen before at the FE Cafe!

And [unlike a lot of the other Classic Who meetups] this one is southside and with lots of seating!
mary jane k.
m_kelbell
Austin, TX
Post #: 37
Yes we probably could.

Would possibly need to bring our own DVD player and cables. Can only show a LEGAL copy -- one purchased from the BBC/DVD series. (No downloads -- this could get the restaurant in trouble).

Anyway, need to call the restaurant to verify they'll let us do this. Some venues are concerned about showing private videos, while they make a profit. But they do this once a month in San Antonio at one of the Alamo Draft Houses. (San Antonio has a large very well organized Dr Who meetup. They have a classic Dr Who showing and also new series - 2 meetings - every month.)

Can you call the restaurant and see if they okay??

Otherwise, I have scheduled a small meeting at my apt Nov 5th to watch classic Dr Who.