addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Burlington Makers Meetup Group Message Board › Congratulations to our member John Linville on his Retro Gaming project Fahrfall

Congratulations to our member John Linville on his Retro Gaming project Fahrfall

Bennett H.
user 17161481
Group Organizer
Burlington, NC
Hello Group Members,

I wanted to take a moment and make sure you all knew that fellow member and friend John Linville has received some serious recognition for his retro computer game project Fahrfall (a new game being written in assembly language for the 1980's Radio Shack Color Computer).

Yesterday was a busy day for John, first he was featured on Hack-A-Day (a fairly prestigious achievement and one that brings a LOT of views and attention to a maker project)

http://hackaday.com/2012/02/02/creating-a-game-for-the-coco/­

(this is actually John's second time being recognized there, in years past they have also picked up the story about his video streaming project for the Color Computer 3)

He also found out yesterday that he had won the Retro Challenge Winter Warmup, an international contest for retro-computing/gaming projects. (and against some very good competition). One reason the competition cited for John's win was the fact that he had put so much effort (and so well done) into his blog and videos about the project.

http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/retrochallenge-website/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage­

I've promoted John's news through the Harris Educational fan page, the Alamance Makers Guild page (http://www.facebook.c...­, and by word of mouth.

John is planning to bring a Color Computer to our next meeting (Thursday the 9th, next week) so that he can show off his work-in-progress on FahrFall. He and I are also planning to build some Joysticks so that the public (and kids) can play the game at Maker Faire here in Burlington and later in Raleigh.

Congratulations John, and very well deserved!

Ben

p.s. Looking forward to seeing everyone at next week's meeting. If you've not already done so, please RSVP (yes or no) here on Meetup.com, or at the fan page's event tab, or by contacting me by e-mail at ben.harris@harris-educational.com Its important that I get an idea of the number of attendees so that I can plan for the food I'm bringing in. (MiMi's Pizza, in my opinion the best pizza in Burlington)