Does the thought of speaking at a WordPress event intrigue you? This is a workshop for folks from underrepresented groups who are thinking about speaking at WordPress events, such as WordPress Meetups and WordCamps. The focus of this hands-on session will be to look at what has stopped you from speaking in the past and explore how to move past your fears, generate WordPress-related topics to give a talk on, boost your speaking confidence, and allow you to practice speaking in a safe space. At the end of the workshop you will have a few ideas for talks, an outline on one topic, a title, a pitch/proposal for applying to events, a bio, and a chance to practice speaking.
***You do NOT have to have any experience in public speaking. This workshop is for all levels of experience.
This workshop is for you if:
- You identify as being from an underrepresented group
- You’ve thought about speaking at Meetups or WordCamps but haven’t been able to think of a topic
- You think you don't know anything worth speaking about
We will cover:
- Why speak at WordPress events?
- Dispelling some myths about speakers/speaking
- Coming up with topics and choosing one
- Writing a meetup description or conference pitch
- Practice speaking in front of a group
- Coming up with a great title
- Writing your bio
- Writing the outline
- Practice giving a short talk
- The venue has elevators.
- Please do not wear scents. Many people are allergic or sensitive.