SUMMER 2019 TRAIL SERIES "Run Umstead Turkey Creek"
WHERE: Umstead Multiuse Parking Lot / 8801 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27617 – past visitor’s center, left maintenance rd, left sycamore rd – follow to end
WHEN: Sat Aug 17 8am
*Most outrageous run outfit contest for example: lots of neon, animal prints, butt packs, you get the idea…
*RUN DISTANCE: 5, 10, or 25 miles depending on the individual
*CLINIC: why/how hill work
*HOW TO FIND US AT PARK: look in parking lot for gray chevy tahoe w/ lots of stickers
REGISTER OFFICIALLY FOR FREE: www.RunTriangle.com
WHO ARE YOU DEALING WITH?
Your hosts are Scott & Mary Waldrop. They are married runners who have been together since they were 17. They each have their own unique credentials...
* Scott Waldrop is a seasoned ultra/trail runner having won first place and setting coarse records in the Tarheel 378-miler Crewed Division and The Charleston 100-miler both in December 2018. He has competed in and finished ten 100-milers as well as several other ultra-distances and marathons. He is an RRCA Certified Running Coach as well as RRCA’s NC State Representative. Scott himself is coached by world renowned ultrarunner Hayden Hawks.
* Mary Waldrop is T Collin Campbell Plant-based certified, a license massage therapist, and has run marathons and shorter distances. Instagram @vegangaga
Both Scott & Mary are Herren Project Ambassadors as well as New Balance RDU brand ambassadors
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT THIS PROGRAM?
This is a totally FREE training series, hosted by professionals, with lots of free swag give-aways.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone at any time! You can come and go as you please. It’s free to the public. To eligible for target race(s) & New Balance shirt (more about that below) you must attend at least half the training runs.
Improve as athletes and trail runners. Teach what we know and learn from one another. Train for specific target races. Improve speed and agility.
We'll be raffling a gift bag at the end of each run full of goodies from our sponsors: New Balance, Honey Stinger, Herren Project, IT Works and more...Also, free mini clinics, hand-outs, and training plans. Wait there's more! Mary will bring her homemade plant-based goodies and we'll have a cooler full of icy beverages. WAIT!!!! There's even more! Free New Balance RDU race shirt and entry into target race(s) - TBA SOON!
1. ? - Different Biomechanics – You’re not pounding on the same flat surface as you would be on asphalt, so your body isn’t taking nearly as much as a punishment.
2. ? - No Right Angles – getting away from the concrete jungle and spending time in nature is good for the soul and the nervous system. Peer-reviewed science backs this up.
3. ? - Brain Calisthenics – When you first get into trail running it’s easy to compare it to playing a video game. You’re going fast and you’re trying not to trip. Once you get the bug, this becomes extremely fun and gratifying as an athlete,
We have 5 bibs for our target race Uwaharrie Gold Rush 50k to raffle as well! As always plant-based home-made goodies and a cooler full of water and bubbly water will always be with us! You don’t need to even be interested in running the target race to come run with us. All are welcome! Scott (I) will head up the ‘faster longer’ runners.
TARGET RACE INFO
Uwharrie Gold Rush
Mt Gilead, NC • 50K
Race Link: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=65716
Wood Run Trailhead, NC-27