addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Hiking League Message Board › Jack's River Hike

Jack's River Hike

Charlie B
user 9860550
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Excited about the big Jack's River hike? It's finally here!
We'll start from the Dally Gap trailhead and do the Penitentiary and Jack's River trails, all in all a hike of about 14 miles. The hike will have very little elevation gain, but will last about 14 miles and will cross Jack's River 22 times (don't worry, the river depth will be less than knee high), but you'll definitely get wet, so suggest bringing both hiking boots and water sandals (luckily, the water part is between miles 6 and 12, so it will be easy to switch out to maximize comfort).
Because of the mileage and the river crossings, please bring a hiking stick, water, lunch, snacks, and water sandals. You'll also want to bring - and leave in the car - a towel and shirt change. Additionally, this hike will be fast-paced, and is for experienced hikers only. No disrespect, but the last time we did this hike, there were three people who were just plain slow and the group had to wait over an hour at the trailhead at the end of the hike for them to finish...so, if you are not an experienced hiker, please skip this hike for other, shorter hikes that we offer.

CARPOOL:
Plan on meeting at the Dally Gap trailhead at 11:15am. For those who want to carpool, I will run one carpool that will meet in the parking lot on the left hand side of Best Buy on Haynes Bridge Rd and Exit 9 off of 400 at 9am (we will leave promptly at 9:15am). Please send me an eMail by Saturday night to let me know you are coming! FYI, I have a white Toyota Sequoia.