addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Irish / British Genealogy Group Message Board › TWO RESEARCH ANGLES:

TWO RESEARCH ANGLES:

Bridget
user 8700760
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 32

The following have helped me immensely in recent research:

1. English and Wales Probate Records. A relatively new feature to ancestry.com the list of probates especially those from the period of 1861-1941. If you find your relative you can then write to Her Majesty's Court Services at York Probate Sub-Registry, 1st Floor, Caslte Chambers, Clifford Street, York Y01 9RG, England, with a 5 pound cheque for each record - and ta da - you can gain copies of wills. I just found FOUR records today and I'll be requesting the wills which will undoubtedly lead me to more information!!! In fact the probate summary alone can be sources of great info to tie family members together, see related family links, know their estate value, address to name but a few.

2. Irish Census Substitute Information. Through Eneclann I ordered the Census Reports of Ireland CD for the Co Limerick for 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1911. While it does not provide individual household information like the 1901 and 1911 censuses it does provide a collation of interesting statistics that could help you with your research. I believe a like reference point exists for other counties in England. Information such as occupations and number of females / males and what age groups they were in, where they were based, religious affiliations, no of individuals who were born outside of Ireland living in Limerick (for one year snapshot only 103!). If anyone is interested in Limerick records or to see what type of information is included let me know and I shall bring to the next meetup.