What we're about
Looking for a constructive way to improve the health of our environment? Want to support your own health and be part of a community?
We bring together people to help parks, governmental agencies, charities, non-profits, societies, educational institutions, land trusts, and stewardship groups tackle environmental issues that need co-operation and teamwork to get done. NO EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY! All ages, abilities and experience levels are welcome and accommodated. INSTRUCTION, GLOVES, TOOLS AND REFRESHMENTS ARE PROVIDED. The Lower Mainland Green Team is a program of the charity Green Teams of Canada.
- Removing invasive plants that are outcompeting and overtaking our native plants and trees
- Planting native plants and trees
- Picking up litter in natural spaces
- Nature interpretive walks
- And anything that gets people together in nature to make a difference!
What you will get out of participating:
- Learn first-hand about the environmental issues faced in local parks
- Make a positive impact by conserving, restoring and enhancing green spaces
- Spend time in nature and enjoy the mental and physical health benefits of doing so
- Meet new people and be part of a community
- Learn to be a leader and work as a team
- Build stewardship and habitat restoration skills
- Get exercise outdoors
- Feel happier, healthier and more connected to nature
- Explore places in the Lower Mainland you may have never been to before
- Learn about all the amazing work being done by different groups and organizations in the Lower Mainland to take care of the environment
- Gain volunteer hours (a letter to confirm your hours will be emailed to you upon request)
- Have fun!
PLEASE REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER HERE before participating in your first activity! (you will only need to fill out this form once)
Want to reach the organizer? Email Ashton at firstname.lastname@example.org!
DON'T SEE ANY EVENTS POSTED? Hang tight! We are working hard to organize more opportunities for you!
We mostly run activities March-June and September-November, but are working to provide other opportunities year round!
Our founder, Lyda Salatian, ran the Lower Mainland Green Team's first activity ran on March 8, 2011 at Campbell Valley Regional Park in Langley. The Lower Mainland Green Team quickly grew and its success led to the founding of our national charity, Green Teams of Canada, on October 28, 2013 with the goal to launch Green Teams across the country. Soon after our Greater Victoria Green Team was born on August 1, 2014 and we look forward to launching a new Green Team in a brand new place by 2025.
Read more about our history HERE!
2011-2017 activity summaries (including before and after photos) can be found HERE!
2018-Present activity summaries (including before and after photos) can be found HERE!
See photos from each of our activities by clicking on Photos
To connect, build and empower diverse communities through hands-on activities that promote health, well-being and environmental stewardship
DONATE to our charity, Green Teams of Canada
If you love the work we do and want to support us through a donation please click HERE. The money goes to organizing and running LMGT activities, volunteer management, native plants and trees, snacks, tools and communication materials.
- 2014 YWCA Environmental Sustainability Award
- 2013 National Hometown Heroes award from Earth Day Canada. To see the award click --> HERE to learn more about the award click --> HERE
- 2013 Frank Sanford Award for Community Service from the Vancouver Natural History Society. To see the award click --> HERE. To learn more about this award please click--> HERE
- 2012 - Jane Goodall Institute has given the LMGT a certificate of recognition. To check it please click --> HERE
The Lower Mainland Green Team has been featured in the media 50+ times.
You can read the media coverage that our Lower Mainland and Greater Victoria Green Teams have received since 2011 HERE!
Want to learn more about us? click on the below links!
Metro Vancouver Park June 2014 piece about the LMGT --> HERE
A LMGT volunteer who is filmmaker from NSHG Films created this awesome Video --> HERE
CBC Radio Early Edition Jan 4 2014 interview --> HERE
Global News interview July 31 2013 --> HERE
David Suzuki talks about the Lower Mainland Green Team--> HERE
A 5 minute slide show about the LMGT --> HERE
Funders, Community Investment Partners and Donors like YOU!
Without financial support, the Lower Mainland Green Team would not be able to make a positive impact on communities or the environment. Thank you to everyone who financially supports us! If you love the work we do and want to support us through a donation, please click HERE.
Partners and Collaborators
We believe much more can get done working together. Below are some groups we have worked with over the years:
Metro Vancouver Parks
Vancouver Park Board
City of Burnaby
City of Coquitlam
City of North Vancouver
District of North Vancouver
District of West Vancouver
City of Surrey
City of Richmond
Corporation of Delta
City of White Rock
City of Port Moody
Lighthouse Park Preservation Society
Caulfeild Park Conservation Society
Alouette River Management Society
Fraser Basin Council
Kanaka Education and Environmental Partnership Society
Burns Bog Conservation Society
Cougar Creek Streamkeepers
Minnekhada Park Association
Burnaby Lake Park Association
Sunnyside Acres Heritage Society
Friends of Semiahmoo Bay/Birds on the Bay
Catching the Spirit Youth Society
North Shore Wetland Partners Society
False Creek Watershed Society
Edible Garden Project
Fresh Roots Society
The Sharing Farm Society
Rivers Institute at BCIT
Jericho Stewardship Group
Pacific Spirit Park Society
Everett Crowley Park Committee
Coastal Painted Turtle Project
Friends of Hunter Park
Langley Environmental Partners Society
Ceed Centre Society
North Surrey Organic Garden Society
Stoney Creek Environment Committee
North Shore Mountain Biking Association
Better Environmentally Sound Transportation
White Rock and Surrey Naturalists
There are many generous businesses who have helped build the Lower Mainland Green Team. They contribute refreshments and products to volunteers to reward their hard work taking care of the environment! To learn more about them click HERE
We may take photos and/or videos at the events. These may be posted here on meetup and/or other sites like youtube. The photos may also be used for communication materials. If you prefer to not be on camera make this clear to whoever is pointing a camera your way and/or duck out! Also please note, photos may be taken of you with products businesses have donated to LMGT volunteers and posted on their facebook pages.
RSVP'ing and not showing up
There are two rules:
1. Because equipment, tools and refreshments are brought to each event based on the number of people coming, if you have RSVP'd 3 times that you are going to 3 events and without notice have not shown up, you will be removed from the Lower Mainland Green Team. To "un-rsvp" go to where you had originally clicked on "join us" on the event page and click on "change RSVP". Please do this by the day before the event.
2. If you sign up for an event with a restricted number of participants, the spaces become filled and there is a waiting list and you do not show up (and have no good reason) you will be removed. You must UN-RSVP at least 2 days before an event (to give other members a chance to take your vacated spot and participate)
Other volunteer opportunities
Please check out the following page for more environmental volunteer opportunities --> HERE