Anyone under 19 must have their parents sign our waiver and photo consent form to participate. To download the form please click HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1778495/GTC%20WAIVER%20FORM%20for%20parents%20-%20FINAL.pdf)
While we will focus on engaging youth for this activity, volunteers of all ages are welcome!
We'll be working rain or shine!
If you are a teacher bringing students, please make sure to add your students as guests to the RSVP list
We will meet at the parking lot off Imperial Street to the left of Lower Pond
A map of the meeting spot is --> HERE (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Imperial+St+%26+Joffre+Ave,+Burnaby,+BC+V5S+3R2,+Canada/49.223259,-firstname.lastname@example.org,-123.0222212,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867662ff1958dd:0x76d24610bea3f573!2m2!1d-123.0206869!2d49.2220152!1m0?hl=en) and HERE (http://www.burnaby.ca/Assets/New+Things+To+Do/Explore+The+Outdoors/Parks/Central+Park+-+Trail+Map.pdf)
Getting yourself there
Transit. To find out the best route from where you are click HERE (http://www.translink.bc.ca)
Carpool. Leave a message at the bottom of this page if you need a ride. Don't forget to chip in for gas ($5 for every hour of drive is about right)
Cycle. For a bicycle map click HERE (http://www.translink.ca/en/Getting-Around/Cycling/Cycling-Maps.aspx)
Flow of Volunteer Activity
• Meet at 9.15am (please don't be late)
• Sign in
• Walk to Site (follow arrows if you're late)
• Remove invasive plants for about an hour and 15 mins
• Take a break (yummy refreshments time!)
• Volunteer until noon
• Sign out
What to bring
• Teachers must collect waiver and photo consent forms from the parents/guardians of all those under 19 participating, ahead of time. To download the form please click HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1778495/GTC%20WAIVER%20FORM%20for%20parents%20-%20FINAL.pdf)
• Volunteers under 19 must bring a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate
• Refillable water bottle
• Rain jacket in case it rains. Don't let the rain scare you off!
• If it's sunny bring a hat and sunscreen
• Your own gardening gloves if you prefer them (we provide them otherwise)
• Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
• Long sleeves and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Sturdy, comfortable closed toe shoes/boots. Gum boots work too!
What will be provided for you at this volunteer activity
• Gardening gloves if you don't have your own
• Refreshments at the break
• Instruction on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• An opportunity to meet new people and have a fun experience in a beautiful park!
What will happen afterwards
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album (http://www.meetup.com/The-Lower-Mainland-Green-Team/photos/)
• A summary of how this activity went along with before and after photos will be posted in our pages (http://www.meetup.com/The-Lower-Mainland-Green-Team/about/) to show what a big impact you've made
City of Burnaby (http://www.burnaby.ca)