This meetup was created to give vimmers a place in New York to congregate. It is a place where beginners can learn the art of vim and where experts can sharpen their skills and learn about new tools. This meetup is open to all current and aspiring vim users who want to talk motions, macros, and mappings.
It is also open to anyone and everyone. Feel free to stop by for a slice of pizza and beer. Discussions about other types of editors or any programming related topics are welcomed!
We are always looking for speakers. Feel free to contact us at any time!
Tl;dr learn how to write a Vim plugin and share it with the world!
In this session, Dhruva Sagar will cover the following topics:
* What is a plugin ?
* How to convert small pieces of code from your vimrc into simple plugins
* VIM Plugin Architecture (runtimepath, directory structure, best practices)
* Some examples of more complex plugins
* Tools for plugin development (test suites, helper plugins, plugin debugging)
* VIM Plugin APIs (references to documentation for basic principles, data structures, scopes, plugin development using Python/other languages, plugin distribution)
* Introduction: 5-10 minutes
* Short talks (optional): 10-15 minutes
* Long talk: ~30 minutes
* Informal mingling: the remaining time
At the end, we'll split up into small groups to share informal tips and get to know each other!
NOTE: if you'd like to give a short talk, please reach out to the event organizers! We're always looking for more speakers, even day-of.
Special thanks, once again, to our friends at Def Method for hosting! Because of their generosity, some non-alcoholic beverages and light snacks will be served.