What we're about
Welcome to the MeetUp for Albany Chapter of The Satanic Temple!
Our Meetup's purpose is to facilitate & organize community service projects, establish an open and accepting community for freethinkers (and theists that oppose the imposition of religious views on others), and, of course, to hail Satan!
We do not believe in an actual Satan — or any other supernatural force, for that matter. The symbolic Satan, to us, represents rebellion against arbitrary authority and superstitious world views that hamper true knowledge, and rebellion against the imposition of religious views upon the general population. We actively strive for compassion toward all, a scientific worldview, protection of the inviolability of one's body, and intellectual freedom.
Our Meetup upholds TST's Seven Fundamental Tenets, which we think foster qualities that make a good person and a more just society. Discussion and debate are welcome, though we emphatically request that the Seven Tenets are respected at our Meetups. The Tenets are as follows:
1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
3. One`s body is inviolable, subject to ones own will alone.
4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
We hope to see you soon!