addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Permaculture Vancouver ! Message Board › Aquaponics Workshop

Aquaponics Workshop

Vita B.
user 58376042
Courtenay, BC
Post #: 1
Are you curious about Aquaponics? My hubby is giving an introductory, casual, 101 workshop on Saturday June 29th, 2pm-5pm, cost $12/person, with a limit of 12 people. Workshop will take place in North Vancouver at our home.

Rough workshop outline/overview, not in order:
• Walk through of mini system, a breakdown of what each part does
• What makes AP possible - the nitrogen cycle and beyond.
• Filtration, why are different types of filtration needed?
• Do I need a separate Bio-filter, won’t media beds work?
• Media beds are not filters, why is proper filtration the right way to go?
• Why is pH so important to the plants
• Ways in which to grow your food in an AP system
• Fish options
• Fish-to-plant ratio, how to get it right for your setup without getting overwhelmed with online opinions and formulas.
• How to cycle your fish tank and why you should use fishless cycling
• Daily, weekly, monthly maintenance to maintain a system
• Worm tea brewing is worth the effort and time
• Costs, how on the cheap can I do this... what to cheap out on and what not to.
• Costs, how much does it cost to run a system vs. what you get from it and how to get the most out of your lighting.
• Plumbing, schedule 40 potable water safe PVC, glue, etc. How to put things together, what’s needed. What are unions and why use them.

The workshop ends with a tour of our backyard system and is a great time for attendees to ask questions. Everyone will get a follow up email which has a PDF filled with a lot of really valuable information including our own tips/experiences. We also have a raised beds soil garden, compost bins and worm farm that you can explore after the main workshop.

If you are interested, please drop us an email - hello [at] fireandlight.ca
A former member
UPDATE: July 23rd

Workshops have come to an end. If you are interested in organizing a group yourself or have an interest in attending a future aquaponics workshop, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Many thanks to everyone for taking part.

Cheers,
Shaun.
Lynda
user 81321702
Vancouver, BC
We are usually playing music with the Carnegie Jazz Band from 11:30 to 3pm on Saturdays for the 2pm workshop we were going to leave early and miss some of our practice. We would still like to come to the 10 am to 1pm workshop but we will miss more of our practice. We would all three like to come Lynda, Greg and Chris if this workshop goes ahead.
Lynda, Greg and Chris.
A former member
Post #: 44
Shaun,

you removed me from the waiting list for the original workshop without reason and have ignored my requests to be on any of the subsequent workshops.

what's with the disrespect...
A former member
Post #: 6
Hello Rick, please feel free to share all our email correspondence here via screen grabs. I am not sure where "disrespect" comes into this? There is obviously some reason you have posted what you have above publicly, I am not sure what your intention is? No one was removed from any waitlists. The waitlist kept here on this forum was not the current list as there were simply too many things in flux.

The workshops that were planned were all full. 95% of the attendees emailed me directly, so their details were private and not posted via this forum's messaging system.

Is it really respectful to post the comment as you have above without sharing all the facts first?

I do hope the moderators on this forum are aware of your post...